Akron Regional Science Olympiad
***UPDATE REGARDING 2021 EVENT***
Please check the Ohio Science Olympiad pages for Registration and Tournament Information: https://ohso.osu.edu/
Registration for Science Olympiad is required, and should be completed at the Ohio State Level. In the past Registration has run between August and December.
***More Updates including Info from Joel Nelson, Ohio Science Olympiad Director***
- As you may already know, the national tournament will be held virtually on Saturday, May 14th, 2022, and will be hosted by Caltech. They have a great article about their connection to Science Olympiad and their plans. You can view that here.
- The 2022 Ohio Science Olympiad State Tournament will also be held virtually on Saturday, April 9th, 2022. We considered many factors in choosing that route. I want to share some here:
- With the national tournament being virtual, having a virtual state tournament puts our Ohio teams in the best situation possible related to competition.
- Last season's virtual competition paved the way for making sure that all 46 events count toward team scores in a virtual format, which will be our goal at the state level.
- While there is still a lot of uncertainty around COVID and any ensuing responses, the best thing we can do is make sure we have a state tournament. In my first year as a part of the state office, I witnessed firsthand the impact of a canceled state tournament. We don't want to see that happen again. Confirming a virtual format early in the season allows for better planning.
- While in-person events are now a possibility on the Ohio State campus, many of the classrooms that are normally used for our events have limited capacity. The likelihood is that we would have to nearly double our footprint across the campus, posing a few challenges, chief among those being the logistical management of an event that spread out.
- Please check the Ohio Science Olympiad website (https://ohso.osu.edu/) for team registration information.
- The Season Planner Flowchart is posted! This chart signals choices for remote and in-person models of play. Visit here to see it.
- The 2022 Event Slate is posted! Visit here to see the slate.
REGIONAL UPDATE: We are working with the University of Akron to determine the structure for the Eastern Regional Tournament. Currently, there are still many unanswered questions which influence our decision to run an in-person or virtual event. Thanks for your understanding, we will keep you posted.
WE WILL STILL NEED EVENT SUPERVISORS to write tests and coordinate events. We need helpers too.
- To indicate your interest in leading/helping this year, please pre-register here
- We’ll then email you when we have more information.
Here are a few National-Level pertinent links at this point:
Please contact us at ARSciOly@uakron.edu for more information.
NOTICE: The University of Akron will not take custodial responsibility for minors while participating in at Akron Regional Science Olympiad. Custodial responsibility will remain with teachers, parents, legal guardians and chaperones. Minors must be properly supervised at all times.