Akron Regional Science Olympiad
March 12, 2022
Page Last Updated 07/07/22
Rules Clarifications and Announcements
Please Frequently Check the Akron, State and National Rules Clarifications and FAQ's:
Akron Regional Event Clarifications:
Please see very important notes below Clarifications.
AKRON REGIONAL TOURNAMENT (EASTERN)
- Currently scheduled for Saturday March 12th.
- Right now, we expect to run "Satellite". We'll re-evaluate in January.
- (What is "Satellite"? https://www.soinc.org/play/tournaments)
- Be aware that in Satellite format, students test their devices at school (or perhaps at home if necessary),
- so you may want to formally reserve several school spaces needed to test your team’s devices, like places with:
- a high ceiling, a straight smooth floor, a wide-open-space, etc. Questions? Please ask!
The Akron Regional Tournament planners intend to emulate the National Schedules' event groupings*, as printed in the current year rule books (Page B-72 or Page C-76) (pretend you are team 1 - events that team 1 has simultaneously in the schedule will also likely run together at Akron Regional), except:
- Div B – Sounds of Music written test may be held during the same hour as Food Science and Solar System (especially if we do Satellite). Schools will do e-signups for the performance/device testing part of Sounds of Music.
- On the remote chance we do On-Campus, the Sounds of Music written test may be administered when students perform on their musical device, in which case schools with 2 teams would need to sign up both teams for the same hour. See "All In" note below.
- Div C – WI-Fi Lab, Detector Building, It's About Time, written test may be held during the events they are co-listed with on page C-76 in the rule book. (especially if we do Satellite). Schools will do e-signups for the device testing parts of these events.
- On the remote chance we do On-Campus, the written tests may be administered in the same hour when students sign up for device testing, in which case schools with 2 teams would need to sign up both teams for the same hour. See "All In" note below.
Self-Schedule/Sign-up Events with written tests are "All In" events, meaning, if you bring 2 teams to regionals, and we declare that written tests will be completed in the e-sign-up hour, both of the school's teams MUST sign up in the same hour, so that they take their tests in the same hour. OR, we may assign the written test portion to a particular hour, as noted above.
- Potential "All In" Events:
- Div-B - Sounds of Music
- Div-C - Wi-Fi Lab, Detector Building, It's About Time
The groupings may change: Please understand that at a busy university, and when working with scores of enthusiastic but equally busy volunteer event supervisors, some room and schedule conflicts might arise that will result in schedule changes. We will try our best to stick to these groupings. Please plan your team assignements with the above, somewhat modified National Schedules' event groupings in mind, but please continue to build in extra coverage. Best intentions are plans, and sometimes plans must change.
We will freeze Clarifications and FAQ’s on February 25, 2022, meaning all adjustments posted at the state or national level, after that date, will not be applicable to Akron Regional.
IMPORTANT UPDATE ON THE BLUE GYM SPACE
- We will not have use of the Blue Gym for the 2023 Akron Regional Tournament. Flying events and the awards ceremony will be held in the adjacent gymnasium space at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center.
SWRC Court 3 Dimensions (Vehicle events, typically)
- SRWC – Court 3 dimensions: 96 ft x 72 ft, height 44 less ceiling support trusses. (Vehicle events typically run in Court 3).
Racquetball Court at Ocasek Natatorium - Information regarding the space (Helicopter or indoor Bottle Rocket Type events, typically)
- The dimensions of the court are: 20' wide x 20' high x 40' deep.
- There are 2 window ledges in each court for viewing from the 2nd floor, so the possibility does exist that a device could land/get stuck on a ledge.
- WE WILL RUN PING PONG PARACHUTE HERE, as we couldn't find a higher sturdy ceiling without exposed sprinkler heads or support beams crossing the area.
- Please click on this link to see photos of the launchers we will be using.
- The specs of the launcher are:
- 0.825” dia body of shaft
- 0.850” dia over “o” rings
- Length matches the national launcher length.
- There is a pressure gauge integrated with the launcher.
- The cable will allow the competitors to see the gauge while pumping.
- A bicycle pump will be available, teams may bring their own pump, too.
Honors Center (HCTR) - Information regarding the space (Projectile events, possibly)
- Dimensions available soon
College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) Atrium Building - Information regarding the space (Projectile events, possibly)
- Dimensions available soon
- We will run Game On! in the UA E-Sports facility, and we are able to run Scratch locally on their computers. We will use the latest version: 3.
- Remember, to get to the E-Sports facility, enter STUN from the center of campus, go through the doors marked on the map, head down the stairs, exit the building, turn right and right again. Do not walk across the road from ASEC, as trucks drive on that access road, and back up, too. Be safe.
- Remember, no other internet interaction is allowed on Game On!
Drop-in Event ON-LINE REGISTRATION: (For build events, etc that run all day long.)
VISIT THE PAGE BELOW FOR FULL DETAILS ON DROP-IN EVENT ONLINE REGISTRATION PROCESS:
We plan to use the Scilympiad software https://scilympiad.com/uakron/
- *Headcoaches should use the same login and password they used to register with the Ohio State Science Olympiad.
- Coaches should log in to: https://scilympiad.com/uakron/ and explore before 1/15/2020.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org if you have problems, so we can resolve them well before drop-in event signups.
Sounds of Music
IF HELD ON CAMPUS: Sounds of Music will be held in Guzzetta Hall (GH) - the University's dance, music, and theater building.
Please read the important notes below regarding this event:
- We could not find a quiet place on campus, other than the instrument practice cubicles located in Guzzetta Hall. Science Olympiad is in every building on campus at this point, because homerooms are spread out all across campus this year. Homerooms are exciting and energetic spaces, which they should be. That limits the choices for buildings appropriate for Sounds of Music.
- We've been told HVAC noise can make it hard to accurately measure pitch. NOTE that the practice rooms in Guzzetta are sealed, insulated and damped appropriately for music.
- You can unload at the Goodyear Polymer Center cul de sac, near the big "rock candy" sculpture.
- Practice rooms are 5 foot x 6 foot. The doorway is 36 inches wide, but the panic bar on the door limits the effective opening to approx. 34 inches.
- We will try to use the largest rooms not containing a piano. The event supervisor will determine which practice rooms will be used.
- To test in a practice room, your instrument, you and the evaluator must all be able to fit into the practice room.
- There are also assorted classrooms and the hallway, which can be used for testing if the practice rooms are too small.
- The supervisor is an experienced Science Olympian (former) competitor. He understands Science Olympiad.
He will determine the best location/distance for measuring your pitch and your in-pitch-loudness within the practice rooms, and attempt to make it as consistent as possible for everyone.
- The University of Akron will not take custodial responsibility for minors while participating in at Akron Regional Science Olympiad. Custodial responsibility will remain with teachers, parents, legal guardians and chaperones. Minors must be properly supervised at all times.
- Impound will be 8:00am - 8:50am. Any teammember may drop off devices to impound.
Mission Possible and Machines
- Teams are encouraged to bring a level and shims in order to make sure their device is appropriately level. Please email email@example.com if another event would benefit from the use of shims and levels.
All, please review the Science Olympiad Policies on Safety Goggles and Lasers (used for alignment in build events, like the car events…)
https://www.soinc.org/lasers (class 2 and class 1 only – Must be clearly labeled), https://www.soinc.org/eye_protection
Let’s keep the students, supervisors and helpers safe. Supervisors, please enforce the rules for goggle type and laser type. Students without the required goggles should be given an opportunity, within their event’s scheduled hour, to go and get goggles.
Supervisors – please – you should wear goggles as appropriate. If you don’t own a pair, please ask us to pack goggles for you. firstname.lastname@example.org (soon please.)
Supervisors – please bring your own grading pens/pencils. Since students typically unstaple their test papers, please bring a stapler, or ask students to write team numbers on every page.
Coaches – please ask your students to write their team number on each page if they separate their papers.
Back to the Science Olympiad Home Page
Please contact us at ARSciOly@uakron.edu for more information.