WHY AKRON LAW?
A message from Dean C.J. Peters
I invite you to apply now to join the Akron Law family. Akron Law is a special place — here are some reasons why.
- A top-rated legal education at an affordable price. The influential website Above the Law ranked Akron Law among the top 50 law schools in the country based on quality job placements, cost, low student debt, and alumni satisfaction. Our students graduate with the lowest average law school debt of any school in Ohio. First-year tuition and fees for both Ohio residents and nonresidents are under $25,000, and scholarships are guaranteed for the duration of your legal studies so long as you remain in good standing.
- Brand-new state-of-the-art facilities. Akron Law’s newly renovated C. Blake McDowell Law Center features cutting-edge classroom technology, the innovative David and Ann Amer Brennan Courtroom, plentiful study space, a café, accessible student services, and the beautiful Beatrice K. McDowell Common for gatherings, events, or just hanging out.
- Flexible degree options. Most law schools require you to begin your JD studies in the fall, but with Akron Law’s Spring Start option, you can begin in August or in January. You can pursue your degree full time or part time, and in four years or less you can earn both a JD and a Master’s degree in business, accountancy, taxation, or intellectual property law. Akron Law’s 3+3 programs with other colleges and universities in the region allow students to obtain both a bachelor’s degree and a JD in six years rather than the usual seven. Students with foreign law degrees can earn a U.S. law degree from Akron Law in only two years. If you are interested in obtaining substantial legal knowledge and a valuable credential but don’t want to practice law, you can earn a Master of Studies in Law degree in as little as one year or a Certificate in Intellectual Property Law in a single semester.
- Positive outcomes for our students and our graduates. Our nationally recognized bar-exam preparation program includes a bar-review study scholarship of up to $2,250 for every graduating student. Our graduates’ employment rates are consistently high. Akron Law’s Intellectual Property Law program is recognized as one of the best in the country, and we earned a top-7 national ranking from National Jurist magazine for training prosecutors and public defenders. Year after year, our student lawyering skills teams rank among the best in the country.
- An innovative legal education. At Akron Law, we emphasize hands-on learning. You can represent real clients, appear in court, draft agreements, help advise start-up businesses, engage in international negotiations, and more. Our Reentry Clinic was honored by preLaw magazine as one of the fifteen most innovative clinical programs in the country, and our Small Entrepreneur and Economic Development (SEED) Clinic received the U.S. Small Business Administration’s “Legal Services Champion” award in 2015. Akron Law’s Intellectual Property Law program provides training from renowned experts and close contact with IP lawyers and leaders in industry. Our cutting-edge Summer Trial Academy is the centerpiece of a comprehensive advocacy curriculum. Akron Law’s experienced faculty have worked for the White House, Congress, federal and state courts and prosecutor’s offices, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, non-profits, legal aid, national and international corporations, and major law firms around the country.
- International connections. Akron Law’s unique Asian study abroad program allows students to spend a summer learning the law in three different cities in two Asian countries. Our JD program for foreign lawyers brings a diverse group of international students to our Akron campus. As part of a University that has strong and expanding relationships with foreign institutions, Akron Law students can gain valuable exposure to international legal systems and cultures.
- A great location. Northeast Ohio is a wonderful place to live and learn the law. The greater Akron area, host to about 21,000 companies, is a magnet for jobs, technology, and investment in industries including health care, education, manufacturing, bioscience, and polymers. Akron Law students have easy access to outdoor recreation (such as hiking, biking, golf, skiing, sailing, and the Cuyahoga Valley National Park), music and performing arts (including national touring acts and the Cleveland Orchestra at the Blossom Music Center, Broadway shows at the E.J. Thomas Performing Arts Center, and many local music and arts venues), and sporting attractions (including the University’s Division I athletics programs, the Akron RubberDucks AA baseball team, the Cleveland Cavaliers, Indians, and Browns, and the Pro Football Hall of Fame). From Akron Law’s downtown location, students can walk to the state and federal courthouses and many law offices, as well as a variety of dining, entertainment, and residential options.
These are just some of the reasons why JD enrollments at Akron Law have climbed over the past few years despite downward trends in law school enrollment across the country. I hope you will visit our beautiful new facilities, request an Akron Law viewbook, or contact a member of our admissions team for more information about the exceptional opportunities an Akron Law education can provide.
All the best,
Christopher J. (C.J.) Peters