Why Akron Law?
A message from Akron Law Dean C.J. Peters
I invite you to apply now to join the Akron Law family. Akron Law is a special place — here are some reasons why.
- A top-rated legal education at an affordable price. U.S. News & World Report recognizes Akron Law’s Intellectual Property Law, Trial Advocacy, and Part-time Studies programs as among of the best in the country. We also consistently earn high grades for IP, Trial Advocacy/Litigation and Practical Training from the National Jurist preLaw magazine. As for affordability, tuition and fees for both Ohio residents and students from other states are under $25,000, and scholarships are guaranteed for up to three years in the full-time program or four years in the part-time program so long as you remain in good standing. Eighty-five percent of our most recent entering class received scholarships. Plus, our graduates’ average debt load is the lowest among Ohio's law schools and among the lowest in the country.
- Legal education that is both innovative and practical. Akron Law is nationally known for its emphasis on experiential learning. You can represent real clients, appear in court, draft agreements, help advise startup businesses, and hone your skills in competitions. Our cutting-edge Summer Trial Academy is the centerpiece of a comprehensive advocacy curriculum. Our trial advocacy teams are among the best in the country, with 23 national and regional titles and a No. 5 national ranking for 2018-2019. Our Reentry Clinic has been recognized by both preLaw magazine and the Association of American Law Schools and was recently featured in a special news report. Our Immigration Law Clinic is one of just a handful of such clinics in the country where students represent clients one-on-one and advocate before immigration court judges. Aspiring IP lawyers take advantage of our Trademark Clinic, which is specially designated by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to allow students to prosecute trademark applications.
- State-of-the-art facilities. Opened in fall 2017, our newly renovated C. Blake McDowell Law Center features the latest classroom technology, the innovative David and Ann Amer Brennan Courtroom, plentiful study space, accessible student services, and the beautiful Beatrice K. McDowell Common with a café and fireplace for gatherings, events, or just hanging out.
- Flexible degree options. Most law schools require you to begin your JD studies in the fall, but with Akron Law’s Spring and Summer Start options, you can begin in January, May or August. At Akron Law you also can pursue your degree full time or part time. Part-time students can complete all required courses with just two days a week of on-campus classes through our new Blended Online course schedule. Full-time students can earn both a JD and a Master’s degree in business, accountancy, taxation, public administration, applied politics, or intellectual property law in four years or less. Akron Law’s 3+3 programs with other colleges and universities in the region allow students to obtain both a bachelor’s degree and a JD in six years rather than the usual seven. Students with foreign law degrees can earn a U.S. law degree from Akron Law in only two years. If you are interested in obtaining substantial legal knowledge and a valuable credential but don’t want to practice law, you can earn a Master of Studies in Law degree in as little as one year or a Certificate in Intellectual Property Law in a single semester.
- Positive outcomes for our graduates. When it comes to student support, all law schools are not created equal. We are among the top schools in Ohio for bar passage and this year we further enhanced our bar-preparation program through a partnership with bar review leader BARBRI that provides every student with tailored support services throughout their time at Akron Law at no additional cost. In addition to helping you pass the bar we also prepare you for a successful career. Our graduates’ employment rate has consistently exceeded 90% in recent years, above the national rate of about 88%. For our IP Certificate holders and JD/LL.M. graduates, the employment rate runs at or near 100%.
- International connections. Akron Law students interested in exploring international law can take advantage of our expanding international and comparative law curriculum, visiting foreign scholars, study abroad opportunities, and the chance to learn alongside foreign lawyers enrolled in our two-year international JD program. We offer a unique Hanoi study abroad program that is exclusively for Akron Law students. Participants will enhance their knowledge of the Vietnamese legal system, Vietnamese history, and international law while enjoying an amazing cultural experience.
- A great location. Northeast Ohio is a wonderful place to live and learn the law. The greater Akron area, host to about 21,000 companies, is a magnet for jobs, technology, and investment in industries including health care, education, manufacturing, bioscience, and polymers. Akron Law students have easy access to outdoor recreation (such as hiking, biking, golf, skiing, sailing, and the Cuyahoga Valley National Park), music and performing arts (including national touring acts and the Cleveland Orchestra at the Blossom Music Center, Broadway shows at UA’s E.J. Thomas Performing Arts Center, and many local music and arts venues), and sporting attractions (including the University’s Division I athletics programs, the Akron RubberDucks AA baseball team, the Cleveland Cavaliers, Indians, and Browns, and the Pro Football Hall of Fame). From Akron Law’s downtown location, students can walk to the state and federal courthouses and many law offices, as well as a variety of dining, entertainment, and residential options.
These are just some of the reasons why Akron Law attracts some of the best and brightest law students in the country, with a median LSAT of 153 and a median undergrad GPA of 3.45 for the 2019 entering JD class. I hope you will visit our beautiful new facilities, request more information about Akron Law, or contact a member of our admissions team for more information about the exceptional opportunities an Akron Law education can provide.
All the best,
Christopher J. (C.J.) Peters