Answers to Your Questions
When you earn a degree through UAkron Online, you earn a University of Akron degree. It is the exact same degree as our traditional students earn. The only difference is the delivery method of your courses.
Absolutely! You and your family will be invited to campus for commencement so we may recognize and celebrate your achievement with you. We look forward to that day!
UA is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission — one of six regional institutional accreditors in the United States.
Colleges and universities across the United States voluntarily seek accreditation to ensure they are maintaining quality standards, and use it as an opportunity for continuous improvement. Regional accreditation also ensures that students at colleges and universities are eligible for federally-based financial aid programs.
As an online student at The University of Akron, you will be enrolled in your classes through Brightspace. You will log on to each class and complete assignments and exams as you would in a traditional college course. You will interact frequently with faculty and fellow students through such activities as lively discussion forums, group projects and live classroom sessions. Coursework can be accessed online anytime, day or night, but assignments must be completed by the due dates specified by your instructor.
If you need help, you can meet with your instructors in a live meeting tool such as Microsoft Teams. Some courses will schedule a live classroom meeting. You will be able to join the classroom for a session that might include a live lecture, presentations, office hours, or other interactive activities. If the timing does not meet your needs, these sessions will be recorded so that you can review them later.
Yes! Once accepted students confirm their enrollment at The University of Akron, students will receive communication via email from the Office of New Student Orientation providing additional instructions.
Online-degree students will be enrolled in their respective online orientation experience depending upon being a new student, transfer or adult learner. After completing your online orientation requirement, you will be connected with your academic advisor to schedule classes for the upcoming semester.
Online students also have access to an orientation to online learning. This mini-course provides an opportunity to practice using all of the tools that you will need to be a successful online student.
Yes. All of the classes that you are required to take for our UAkron Online programs are offered online. In the case of electives and general education requirements, you may need to choose from the available courses that are offered online in the term that you need to complete those. Your academic advisor will work with you to ensure that you have a schedule that meets your academic needs to complete your program as quickly as you would like.
No. Your courses may use an electronic proctoring service, but you will not be required to come to campus. You can run the proctoring software on most laptops, desktop computers, iPads, and Chromebooks.
No. You will be able to meet with student services personnel virtually, and complete all activities including orientation, academic advising appointments, library services, career services, and any desired tutoring services from the convenience of your home.
A variety of academic, technological, and program support is available to students.
- The IT Help Desk provides
- Need help in Brightspace? Call Brightspace support at 1-877-325-7778 at any hour. There is also an online chat option in Brightspace. View numerous Brightspace tutorials.
- Library resources and academic databases can be accessed from home. Local library material requests, Course Reserve requests, and Interlibrary Loan material requests will be delivered electronically or uploaded to Brightspace course pages whenever possible. Book or media requests will be mailed by USPS to patrons who respond to a notification email with their current mailing address. You can chat live with a librarian. Questions can be submitted through Ask – Univeristy Libraries.
- The University of Akron is a member of the Ohio eTutoring Collaborative, which provides an online eTutoring platform allowing undergraduat students currently enrolled at UA the opportunity to receive virtual assistance from trained tutors in the following academic areas:
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Computer Programming
- Computer Science
- C++ and Java
- Microsoft Office
- Writing Lab (Asynchronous)
- To access tutoring assistance in these areas, student should visit Ohio eTutoring Collaborative online
Yes. As a member of The University of Akron, you can access Office 365 for free. Students can use Office 365 for up to one year after graduation. Office can be installed on your Mac or Windows PC or, on your iOS, Android or Windows Mobile device.
Absolutely. Under normal circumstances, we offer a robust calendar of overseas opportunities, many of them led by our faculty.
No matter where you start, we want you to finish at UA! We have made it easy for you to transfer into UAkron Online. Start here.