Bachelor of Science in Nursing
RN to BSN program (Classroom/distance-learning option)
► Convenient: Study in class close to home via distance learning (five sites in northeastern Ohio)
► Flexible: Study full or part time. Classes meet one day per week (Tuesday)
► Fast: Complete your degree in one year (three semesters full time) or two years (six semesters part time)
► Individual attention: Low student-to-faculty ratios
► Customized: Courses designed for the adult learner. Two practicum experiences designed to meet your individual needs.
► Quality: Program fully accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
VIDEO: My experience at Akron
Chris Kretschmer—RN, BSN, CCRN, CEN, CPEN and a major in the U.S. Army Reserves—explains how the RN-to-BSN Program at The University of Akron helped him reach his goals.
Attend classes in at one of five locations:
- Akron (Main Campus)
- Medina (Medina County University Center)
- Kirtland (The Holden University Center at Lakeland Community College)
- Orrville (Wayne College)
Separately, we also offer the same program 100% online.
- Valid state license as a registered nurse (New graduates must pass NCLEX prior to beginning Nursing of Communities course.)
- Admission to the University of Akron and School of Nursing
- Grade of a “C" of above in all prerequisite courses. Courses taken at other colleges may be used to receive credit towards prerequisite requirements.
- A minimum Grade Point Average of 2.0. Grades of transfer work are combined with those earned at The University of Akron in the computation of the admission GPA.
All RN students are admitted directly to the School of Nursing as undergraduates. School of Nursing advisors will help guide the student as to the prerequisite courses needed and a plan of study that will best meet the student's needs.
If you are interested in obtaining a quality baccalaureate degree in nursing, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Contact Person: Don Canary
Students must take a minimum of 32 credits at UA to meet residency requirements for graduation. By-pass credit does not satisfy this requirement.
Core Nursing Courses (32 credits)
- Concepts of Professional Nursing, 3 credits
- Health Assessment for RNs, 3
- Nursing Care of Healthy (Individuals/Families), 3
- Palliative Nursing Care, 3
- Nursing Research (RN only), 3
- Nursing Care of Communities (RN only), 3
- Nursing Care of Communities Practicum (RN only), 2
- Complex Care of Aging Families (RN only), 3
- Professional Nursing Leadership, 3
- Professional Nursing Leadership (Practicum), 2
- Professional Nursing Capstone, 3
How to apply
For the classroom/distance-learning option, you should apply as a transfer student, since you would be transferring credits from another institution/college. We have a single start date every year, in June. Select the June (summer) option on the application if you wish to take your classes at any of the locations above.
Professionals in our School of Nursing are happy to answer your questions about the program
Undergraduate tuition and fees
The program begins in June every year. (You will still have plenty of time to enjoy the warm weather and a vacation!)
Scholarships for transfer students
The Akron Guarantee Scholarship is for students transferring into The University of Akron.