Cameos of Caring event elevates nursing through recognition and scholarship
Eight exceptional local nurses were recognized for their dedication to patient care at the 2022 Cameos of Caring Gala, hosted by the School of Nursing at The University of Akron on Saturday, Nov. 12 at Quaker Station.
Now in its twentieth year, the black-tie event raises money for the Cameos of Caring Endowed Scholarship which provides annual scholarships for select students entering the School of Nursing. Event sponsors included Summa Health and Cleveland Clinic Akron General.
Nurses honored at this year’s event included:
· Nicole Mann '05, of Copley - Employed by Summa Barberton Hospital
· Jennifer Croft '19, of Marshville - Employed by Akron Children’s Hospital
· Rebecca Dress of Wadsworth- Employed by Cleveland Clinic Akron General
· Cynthia Carter of Akron - Employed by Western Reserve Hospital
· Kristin Wheeler '07, of Uniontown - Employed by Summa Health System
· Terri Alexander of Norton - Employed by Summa Health System
· Tiffany Collins of North Canton - Employed by Summa Health System
· Torrie Hileman of Lawrence - Employed by Mercy Medical Center
Cameos of Caring
“The Cameos of Caring Gala is a special night because it allows us to honor nurses and nursing as a profession,” said Marlene Huff, Ph.D., RN, school director and chief nurse administrator. “I believe this event helps us to retain nurses to our very demanding profession and provides the support – through the Cameos of Caring Endowed Scholarship – to recruit and engage the next generation of nurses.”
Cameos of Caring was created in 1999 by the University of Pittsburgh’s School of Nursing to honor and recognize the value of nursing. The University of Akron’s School of Nursing is the third university nationwide to use the Cameos of Caring event as a strategic approach to addressing the nursing shortage. Award recipients become members of the Cameo Alumni Association and can help to increase public awareness of the nursing profession, recruit a new generation of nurses, inspire nurses to positively impact patient care, and support nursing education.
For more information on the School or Nursing or Cameos of Caring, visit uakron.edu/nursing.