Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress

To remain eligible for federal and state aid, students must maintain three standards of satisfactory academic progress:

  1. minimum hours completed,
  2. minimum grade point average, and
  3. maximum time frame.


Minimum hours completed (Pace review)

Pace is calculated by dividing the total number of hours completed by the total number of hours attempted. To meet pace, your pace must be equal to or greater than 67%. For example:

Hours attempted Hours completed Pace calculation Standards determination
12 8 8/12 = 67% Meeting pace
16 11 11/16 = 69% Meeting pace
50 32 32/50 = 64% Not meeting pace
48 40 40/48 = 83% Meeting pace
  • For undergraduates, successful completion of a course, for the purposes of the Satisfactory Academic Progress standard, are grades A, B, C, D, or CR. All other grades, including withdrawals (W, WD) and in-progress are incompletes and will not be counted as successful completion.
  • For graduate and law students, successful completion of a course, for the purposes of the Satisfactory Academic Progress, is determined by your college and/or program.

Minimum Grade Point Average (G.P.A.)

  • Undergraduate students must have at least a 2.0 GPA.
  • For graduate students, your grade point average must be equal to, or higher than, the standard established by your academic department. A minimum 2.3 cumulative G.P.A. is required for the Law School; and a minimum 3.0 is required for the Graduate School.

Maximum time frame

  • Undergraduate students are required to complete their degree requirements by the time they have attempted 150% of the hours normally required for the completion of that degree. For example, a program that normally requires 128 credit hours must be completed by the time the student has attempted 192 credit hours (128 x 150%).
  • For transfer students, academic progress will be reviewed to determine the program's maximum time frame.
  • Graduate students must complete their degree program within the following time frame:
Graduate School Master's degree 6 years
Doctorate degree 10 years
Law School Day school program 5 years
Evening school program 6 years

How to appeal

If you are in violation of the standards policy and you have mitigating circumstances that occurred during the semester, you may file an appeal with the Office of Student Financial Aid.

Standards appeal process

  • Students who are below the required G.P.A., have reached the maximum timeframe to receive financial aid, and/or have completed less than 67% of attempted credit hours may complete a Standards Appeal Form to explain and document the circumstances under which the violation(s) occurred.
    • Describe the circumstances that affected your academic progress and resulted in you not meeting SAP.
    • Describe how your situation has changed to allow you to meet SAP.
  • Students attach third party documentation to support your appeal if applicable (e.g. medical/doctor’s statement, birth/death certificate, police report etc.).
  • Students may be in violation of more than one Academic Progress Standard. In these cases, an appeal should document and discuss how the multiple violations were affected by the situation(s) described.
  • After documentation is reviewed, you will be notified if your appeal has been granted or denied. If you are denied, there is no further appeal. Notification of the decision will be sent to your UA email.
  • Please allow up to ten business days, from the time that you submit your appeal, for the review to be completed.
  • If you are denied, contact us when your academic progress has been restored to see if you have regained aid eligibility.

Note: Not all appeals are granted. Appeals are granted based on the merit of the situation and the supporting documentation. The appeal process takes 10 business days after all documents have been received.

More information about the standards of satisfactory academic progress, and the appeal process: