Applying for aid

Financial aid is awarded annually, based on the academic year of The University. The summer term is the first semester of the academic year, followed by fall and spring. You must complete a new FAFSA every year to apply for federal and state grants, federal work-study, and federal loans.

Need summer aid? In addition to the seven steps to apply for financial aid below, review important information about summer aid.

7 steps to apply for financial aid

  1. Obtain a federal FSA ID (Federal Student Aid ID)

    • The FSA ID acts as your electronic signature when completing and signing the FAFSA.
    • Create your FSA ID.
    • Parents of dependent students must also have a parent FSA ID to sign the FAFSA and apply for parent loans (PLUS), if desired. The parent FSA ID is separate from the student's FSA ID.
  2. Submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)

    • FAFSA is available online at
    • The University of Akron's Federal School Code is 003123.
    • The 2018-19 FAFSA is available now.
    • The priority FAFSA deadline for the 2018-19 academic year was Dec. 1. File your FAFSA by this date to be considered for the maximum amount of need-based aid for the 2018-19 FAFSA.
    • You can still complete the FAFSA for the 2018-19 academic year after Dec. 1.
  3. Receive your SAR (Student Aid Report) from the U.S. Department of Education

    • The SAR summarizes the information you provided on the FAFSA and indicates your Expected Family Contribution, which our office will use to determine your financial aid eligibility.
    • If you've made a mistake on your FAFSA, you can make corrections at
  4. Provide required documents, if applicable

    • Students may be required to submit documents/forms before they can receive their financial aid award. If you fall into this category, you have been notified of the requirements. Please know that all documentation must be completed and submitted to our office, and then reviewed by our staff before you can receive your financial aid award.
    • New undergraduate students receive a letter from our office via US Postal Mail that outlines all required documents/forms; continuing undergraduate and all graduate/law students receive their notification to their UA Zips email address. All students can review the items that are required via the To Do list in the Student Center of My Akron.
    • 2018-19 award year forms will be available later this fall.
  5. Aid is awarded

    • After all required documents/forms are submitted and processed, or if you weren't required to submit anything additional, you will receive your financial aid award notification. New students receive their award letter by the U.S. Postal Service; continuing undergraduate and new graduate/law students will receive notification via UA Zips email account (starting in June, after spring semester grades are posted and students are reviewed for Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress).
    • If have your UANet ID, you may also log in to My Akron to review your financial aid award online.
    • If adjustments are made to your financial aid award, all updates will be made electronically. You can view your revised financial aid award in My Akron.
  6. Review your next steps to getting financial aid

  7. Check the status of your financial aid

    • You can view your student account in My Akron's Finances section.
    • By late June, view your account balance by logging into My Akron. Be sure to note the due date and the amount due, as identified in the Finance section of My Akron. Financial aid is disbursed to your account ten days before the first day of classes. Until then, it appears as "anticipated aid" in your student account. If your aid does not appear as anticipated, or it has not yet disbursed to your account (if there are less than ten days before the first day of classes), review the next steps regarding loans to see which step(s) you may have missed.
    • If you have more financial aid crediting to your account than what is needed to pay your bill/student account balance, you should receive a refund. If you are expecting a refund to pay for books, personal expenses, etc., be sure to review your next steps before the beginning of August. For more about the refund process, see our refunds page or contact the Office of Student Accounts by email or call 330-972-5100.