Strengthen your computer skills
To be successful at Akron, adult learners need certain basic technological skills.
- Mouse skills (your placement testing will be done on the computer, and if you do not have mouse skills, these will be more difficult for you).
- Basic ability to type (25 words/minute will be very helpful in word-processing your papers).
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word (so you can word-process your papers).
- Email skills (you must be able to send and receive e-mail and attach a document).
- Basic library research skills.
Expand your abilities
- If you do not have a computer at home, go to your nearest public library or other facility with free access (such as the Akron Urban League, Family Solutions, or AMHA).
- Learn to type online for free at http://www.goodtyping.com
- Access free mouse-use at http://tech.tln.lib.mi.us/tutor/
- Learn free computer basics at http://www.top-windows-tutorials.com/computer-basics.html
Computer Self-Help Guides
Please visit Software Training and Technological Services and click on the "Students" tab. There is documentation for Microsoft applications, Springboard, ZipLine and much more.
Virtual Lab: Access applications anytime, anywhere
Using cloud technology, The University of Akron now offers selected computer applications via a virtual computer lab to all students and faculty. This "always on" environment means you can access these programs anytime from anywhere using almost any device. For access instructions, visit UA's virtual lab.
UA students can access five statistical and engineering programs. More are planned for the future.
Current offerings are:
- Autocad 2012
- SPSS Statistics 19
- SAS 9.2 (64-bit)
- JMP 9
- Minitab 16
There are 100 desktops available. If you cannot gain access to a virtual desktop, you will get a message saying there are "no desktops available." You will need to check back later.
The new virtual lab does not replace any current on-campus access. It only expands access.
More information is available at UA's virtual lab. If you have questions, contact the Support Desk at 330-972-6888.