Surveying and Mapping BS Undergraduate Program Accreditation
The Surveying and Mapping B.S. undergraduate program offered by the Department of Civil Engineering at The University of Akron is accredited by the Applied and Natural Science Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org.
Program Educational Objectives
Program educational objectives are broad statements that describe what graduates are expected to attain within a few years after graduation. Program educational objectives are based on the needs of the program’s constituencies. The educational objectives for the Surveying and Mapping program are for graduates to attain:
- The ability to progress toward professional licensure.
- The ability to manage a growing variety of geospatial data.
- The ability to provide leadership within a project team environment.
- Leadership potential in professional organizations.
- An increasing ability to apply professional ethics in a variety of situations.
Student outcomes describe what students are expected to know and are able to do by the time of graduation. These relate to the knowledge, skills, and behaviors that students acquire as they progress through the program. The BS Surveying and Mapping program will demonstrate that graduates have:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve broadly defined technical or scientific problems by applying knowledge of mathematics and science and/or technical topics to areas relevant to the discipline
- An ability to formulate or design a system, process, procedure or program to meet desired needs
- An ability to develop and conduct experiments or test hypotheses, analyze and interpret data and use scientific judgment to draw conclusions
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- An ability to understand ethical and professional responsibilities and the impact of technical and/or scientific solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- An ability to function effectively on teams that establish goals, plan tasks, meet deadlines, and analyze risk and uncertainty
- An ability to pass the NCEES Fundamentals of Surveying (FS) exam
Enrollment and Graduation Data
Fall 2020 enrollment in the Bachelor of Science Surveying and Mapping Program is 41 students, 15 of whom are simultaneously enrolled in the Associate of Applied Science Land Surveying Program. There were 13 graduates of the program for the 2020-2021 academic year, one of whom simultaneously earned the AAS in Land Surveying.
More enrollment and graduation data can be found here.