serveAkron – Civic Engagement Programs offers a variety of service events and volunteer opportunities for students including Service Fridays, Super Service Saturdays, drop-in service projects, donation drives and many more! Check out the links below to see how you can get involved today!
Click on a topic below to learn more!
Volunteer with us on a Saturday morning. All events are posted on RooConnect...RSVP today!
- Since 2005, The University of Akron has organized volunteer efforts for the national day of service, Make a Difference Day (MDD).Combined over the last 16 years, the University has assisted more than 10,083 volunteers have dedicated more than 31,560 hours of service to the Greater Akron area. The program, on average, partners with more than 40 non-profits
- Volunteer Registration: Volunteer registration will be available on RooConnect. Register on behalf of a group or organization or as an individual volunteer.
Drop-in service events occur in the Jean Hower Taber Student. All current opportunities can be found on the serveAkron page of RooConnect!
Alternative Spring Break (ASB) is an exciting opportunity for undergraduate UA students to travel, grow, and serve others while on spring break. Participants will have the ability to interact with fellow UA peers while giving back to a community or agency in need outside of the Akron area. Participants will experience a rewarding service opportunity that may take you out of your comfort zone, but we hope you will walk away from the trip with a renewed sense of UA community pride and commitment to volunteerism.
National Volunteer Week is an opportunity to recognize the impact of volunteer service and the power of volunteers to tackle society’s greatest challenges, to build stronger communities and be a force that transforms the world. Each year, we shine a light on the people and causes that inspire us to serve, recognizing and thanking volunteers who lend their time, talent and voice to make a difference in their communities.
National Volunteer Week was established in 1974 and has grown exponentially each year, with thousands of volunteer projects and special events scheduled throughout the week. Today, as people strive to lead lives that reflect their values, the expression of civic life has evolved. Whether online, at the office, or the local food bank; whether with a vote, a voice, or a wallet – doing good comes in many forms, and we recognize and celebrate them all.
- August 1-21: Teacher Supply Drive for Akron Hope
- September 2-30: Children’s Book Drive for Bright Star Books
- October 1-31: Canned Food Drive for the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank and the UA Campus Cupboard
- November 1-29: Hats, Gloves, and Scarves for Akron Snow Angels
UA Community Day is a large day of service capping off a week of volunteerism and giving back at the end of April. Students have the opportunity to register as an individual or group/organization to volunteer with one of our non-profits (service projects may vary).
serveAkron sponsors voter registration initiatives on Constitution Day and National Voter Registration Day, among other dates leading up to the voter registration deadline in Ohio. Other programs or initiatives to help raise awareness of candidates or issues appearing on statewide or national elections are provided in a nonpartisan manner.