UA services available over the holidays
This page describes the University services that will be available:
- while the University is closed Thursday, Dec. 24, 2020 through Friday, Jan. 1, 2021 (except for facilities and personnel required to conduct previously scheduled events and maintain essential physical infrastructure and safety.),
- when UA reopens Saturday, Jan. 2, 2021 until all spring semester 2021 classes begin virtually Monday, Jan. 11, 2021.
The Office of the University Registrar will be closed Dec. 24 through Jan. 3, reopening Jan. 4. All My Akron functions — including registration, viewing of grades and accessing financial information — will be available online during that period.
- The deadline for submitting all grades is 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, December 15. Grade rosters will not be available after this deadline.
- End-of-term processing will not be completed until Wednesday, Dec. 16. As a result, students' online GPAs for fall may change due to repeated courses.
- Transcripts requiring fall 2020 grades will be processed beginning Dec. 17.
Week ending Dec. 20
Because Jan. 1 is a holiday, the staff/student pay that would normally fall on that Friday will be paid on the last working day prior to the holiday, which is Wednesday, Dec. 23.
So that the Payroll Office staff may have time to process the payroll and send direct deposit pay files to the bank in a timely manner, employees and supervisors must meet the following deadlines for timesheets for the week ending Dec. 20. Failure to do so will result in a delay in pay until we return from the holiday break.
- Staff and students who will not work on Saturday, Dec. 19, or Sunday, Dec. 20, should complete their timesheets and submit it on their last day worked for the week, but no later than 5 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 18. Supervisors should review and approve timesheets immediately thereafter.
- Staff and students who will work on Saturday, Dec. 19, or Sunday, Dec. 20, must complete their timesheets and submit it on their last day worked. Supervisors should review and approve timesheets immediately thereafter, but no later than 8 a.m. on Monday, Dec. 21. Timesheets will be locked at 8 a.m. Any amendments made to the timesheets after they are closed will be processed with the Jan. 15, 2021, pay.
Week ending Dec. 27, 2020
Employees not working during the break should complete and submit their timesheets for week ending Dec. 27, before leaving campus for the holiday break. Supervisors should approve them immediately thereafter. The document, “Reporting Time in EmpCenter During the Holidays,” describes how hourly staff and exempt employees should complete their timesheets during the holiday break. For future reference, the document is posted on the payroll homepage website.
The Office of Student Accounts will be closed Dec. 24, 2020 through Jan. 3, 2021 reopening Jan. 4, 2021. For students who registered for spring classes, the tuition-payment deadline is Jan. 11, 2021. Additional information is here.
Students should refer to My Akron, Student Center, “Finances”; from here you can view your account, make a payment or sign up for the payment plan. Registration on or after Jan. 11, 2021 is due same day of registration. Students may be subject to late-payment fees and the prospect of being dropped from their classes if payment is not paid by their due date.
Students are encouraged to plan ahead and not wait until the last day to complete financial aid paperwork or to make required payments or payment arrangements.
The first financial aid disbursement will occur January 4, 2021. Refunds will be processed 3 to 5 business days after the disbursement date.
All residence halls are closed for winter break.
For move-in and return instructions, please refer to emails sent on and after Dec. 22 - subject line: "Covid-19 testing required prior to arrival to campus for residence hall students."
The Roo Express will continue the Fall schedule through Friday, December 11, 2020.
Please note: We will not have bus service on the Roo Express from December 12, 2020, through January 7, 2020.
The Roo Express will resume the Spring schedule beginning Friday, January 8, 2021 with one bus with wait times approx. 25-30 minutes.
Bierce Library, the Science and Technology Library (Auburn Science and Engineering Center), and Archival Services (Polsky Building) will be closed from Dec. 24 through Jan. 3, the period when the University is closed, reopening Jan. 4.
Both the ONAT and Rec Center will be closed on Sundays from November 8 through January 17. These closures allow for needed maintenance and align with winter hours.
Visit the Rec Center website for details.
The IT Help Desk will be closed Dec. 24 through Jan. 3. If you have access to the internet, you may visit our self-service site, support.uakron.edu where there are many solutions to common problems. You may also submit an online request. After submitting your request, you may log into FootPrints with your UAnet ID and password to check the status of inquiry. We will monitor the requests that are submitted to FootPrints.
If you do not have access to the Internet, you may leave a voice message at 330-972-6888. Employees from the support center will monitor this voice mailbox periodically during the week. You can also email Neal L'Amoreaux at email@example.com.
Computer Repair Services will be closed Dec. 24 through Jan. 3. If you have a computer being serviced by Computer Repair Services and it is ready for pick up, please pick it up by Wednesday, Dec. 23, at 3 p.m. Otherwise, you will not be able to pick it up until after Jan. 3.
If you have questions, contact Computer Repair Services at ext. 330-972-7626 or email Neal L'Amoreaux at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Shipping/Receiving Department will be closed Dec. 24, through Friday, Jan. 1.
We will receive an overabundance of packages when we return on Jan. 4. Please expect some delays. Your patience is appreciated.
The holidays can be a stressful and/or emotional time for some students.
The University has a team of professionals ready to help students experiencing:
- mental health issues (depression, anxiety, substance dependence, etc.),
- personal problems (relationships, social contentedness, family, etc.)
University officials will be monitoring this service and will act accordingly to referrals submitted over break, and while UA is closed.
- Students who are experiencing crisis, exhibiting unusual behavior, or who may harm themselves or someone else should call University Police at 330-972-2911, or dial 9-1-1 for local service, available 24/7.