The University of Akron
Pharmacy- Early Assurance Program
In Partnership with:
Pre-Pharmacy Program Overview - The University of Akron
The University of Akron, Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences (BCAS) Pre-Pharmacy students will generally be working toward a BS degree in one of three academic programs in the Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences: Biochemistry, Biology or Biomedical Science.
- Biochemistry is the preferred major (degree program) for students who plan to focus on a pharmacy career.
- Biology is the preferred major (degree program) for students who plan to gain a broad foundation of knowledge in the life-sciences including pre-pharmacy.
A bachelor of science degree is not required for admission into the NEOMED College of Pharmacy PharmD Program. However, we recommend that a student at BCAS be working toward a bachelor of science degree in order to be prepared for continuation in an academic program if they change their career goal and/or are not accepted into the PharmD program.
NEOMED Pharmacy & UA Early Assurance Program
Secure a seat in Pharmacy School as a high school senior, college freshman, or sophomore!
Interested in becoming a pharmacist and want to secure your seat in pharmacy school as soon as possible? Apply to NEOMED as a high school senior or during your first or second year of undergraduate study. In doing so, you can have a reserved seat awaiting you in NEOMED’s College of Pharmacy upon completion of required coursework at the University of Akron.
The following requirements should be met for admission consideration:
High school applicants
- Have an overall high school GPA (weighted or unweighted) of 3.2
- Have an ACT (best score) Composite of 24 or higher (or SAT equivalent)
- Have an ACT (best score) sub-score STEM 24 or higher (or SAT Math equivalent)
- Apply to NEOMED by June 1 of your first year with intent to enroll at the University of Akron
- Established college GPA of at least 3.2 as determined by PharmCAS standards.
- Have no grade lower than a “C” in any math, biology or chemistry course completed to date; repeated courses second grade is considered
- Apply to NEOMED by June 1 of your first year (freshman) or sophomore year with intent to enroll at NEOMED after at least one additional year of study for a 3+4 enrollment model or two additional years of study for a 4+4 program of study.
Applicant's are encouraged to demonstrate interest in the profession, through extracurricular activities; noncognitive factors such as maturity; leadership skills and abilities; community service and volunteer experiences; possible work experiences, especially experience with patients in a pharmacy or health-related setting; and professional shadowing experiences. Applicants are highly encouraged to acquire volunteer or work experience in a pharmacy.
Upon acceptance early assurance, UA students will have a seat reserved for them as a first-year pharmacy student at NEOMED. These students will matriculate to NEOMED if all promotion requirements, subject to additional professional behavior guidelines, are met.
- Apply via PharmCAS by October 1st the year prior to the August you wish to start your PharmD at NEOMED.
- Continue to attend their undergraduate college or university and complete all required prerequisite coursework
- Maintain a minimum of a C grade or higher in all required prerequisite coursework, College Credit Plus and AP work may be used if determined acceptable by UA
- Have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.2
- Have a Science GPA of at least 3.2
- Engage in co-curricular programs with the NEOMED College of Pharmacy
Required prerequisite coursework should be completed by the summer before starting the PharmD Program at NEOMED College of Pharmacy. The College of Pharmacy is located on the NEOMED campus in Rootstown, Ohio. The website for the PharmD program is:
More detailed information about the PharmD Program and the online application can be found at: http://www.neomed.edu/admissions/pharmd
Interested students should contact the Pre-Health Adviser at (330) 972-7880 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org