Photos by Shane Wynn, Kevin Richards and Tim Fitzwater
The University of Akron and the community
The city of Akron offers a vibrant downtown, serene parks, and events and venues that appeal to almost every interest. Here's a taste of what you can discover in Akron and the region:
Advantages of city living
- Grab a bite at a restaurant downtown. Attend a minor league baseball game. See a show at our E.J. Thomas Hall. There's always something to do within a short walk from campus.
Internships and co-ops opportunities
- The university has strong ties with businesses far and wide, allowing opportunities for internships and co-ops.
- From the Greater Akron Chamber to the Young Professionals group, there are many opportunities to meet business leaders.
- The university and the city of Akron work together to provide employment opportunities on and off campus.
Whether you prefer exploring a forest via zip line, canoeing and fishing in the lake or skiing down a snow trail, there are numerous getaway locations within a few hours of Akron.
The city of Akron is home to Zips athletics as well as professional and minor league teams. Students of Akron have the best of both worlds; the community involvement in a Division I Athletics program, along with access to multiple major-league teams within 45 minutes of campus.
Arts and culture
Get lost in the abundance of art and culture located in Downtown Akron. No matter your interests, there’s something to suit your creative flare.
- Akron Civic Theater - Entertainment and live performances ranging from musicals to comedy
- E.J. Thomas Hall - Offering speakers and more, right on campus
- Weathervane Community Playhouse produces live theater with volunteer artists, designers, and technicians under professional direction
- Akron Art Museum
- Summit Artspace - a variety of art-related programming for area individuals, families and groups, classes and schools, businesses and nonprofit organizations, including workshops, lectures, demonstrations, artist as an entrepreneur institute.
Get up and get moving! Staying active in between classes and studying couldn’t be easier in Akron. With endless possibilities around the area, you’ll have a hard time choosing which one you want to do first.
- Akron Marathon – The popular fall marathon now has two warm-up events in the summer, offering 1-mile to half-marathon options.
- Akron Zoo - More than 700 animals from around the world located 10 minutes west of campus.
- Metro parks - Metro offers 14 parks, conservation areas and 125 miles of trails for all sorts of outdoor fun
- Cuyahoga Valley National Park - More than 100 miles of trails for bike ride, walking or running, along with the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad.
- Portage Lakes - Rent outdoor equipment from the UA Rec & Wellness Center and head to the Portage Lakes, 8 lakes expanding over 2,000 acres, offering a variety of outdoor adventures just 10 minutes away
- Road Races - Whether you’re a running veteran or attempting your first 5k, Akron and surrounding areas have road races for you
- Towpath Trail on the Ohio & Erie Canal – A 101-mile trail from Lake Erie to Zoar, Ohio
Who doesn’t love a live band or concert? Grab your friends and enjoy the talents of local, national, and tribute artists at multiple locations all as unique as the performers themselves.
- Blossom Music Center - This famous music venue features national artists and also doubles as a haunted horror attraction in October
- Lock 3 - Downtown Akron’s outdoor venue offering affordable, family entertainment
- Nightlife - No time for sleeping when Akron’s vivacious nightlife is within walking distance from campus
Annual events and festivals
Akron hosts thousands of events each year from live concerts to monthly art walks and historic festivals to holiday celebrations. Join other students and citizens of Akron in learning and loving your community.
The rich history of Akron has been archived in the city’s many museums. Students can take advantage of Free Thursdays at the Akron Art Museum, student discounts at the Hower House and so much more.
Accommodations while visiting UA
Lodging options are available within 15 minutes of the University (list from Google Maps).