HANOI & HUE STUDY ABROAD PROGRAM
All information is tentative and pending approval from the University of Akron.
The University of Akron School of Law is conducting a truly unique Summer 2023 Vietnam Study Abroad Program combining activities in both Hanoi and Hue Vietnam. Activities will combine visits to relevant local attractions as well as class lectures conducted jointly with Hanoi Law University and Hue University of Law.
Hanoi (the capital of Vietnam), and Hue (home of the Imperial City in central Vietnam) are the destinations of the University of Akron School of Law’s Summer 2023 Vietnam Study Abroad Program. The program will begin with a required 2-credit summer intersession course at Akron Law .
The program will proceed with a 3-credit course on Law & Economics offered in three configurations:
- Take the 1-credit Law & Economics class in Vietnam (which fits into the 5 week summer session)
- Take the 1-credit Law & Economics class in Vietnam, then return and take the remaining 2-credits of asynchronous law and econ credits (which first into the 10-week summer session)
- Take a full 3-credit Law & Economics class in Vietnam (which fits into the 10-week summer session)
ALSO, any student can take the Law & Economics Class completely in Ohio using an asynchronous format over the summer 10-week session.
Registration and costs
Students intending to participate in the Study Abroad Program must register for Prof. Spring’s 2-credit intersession course and separately register for one of the 1 or 3 credit summer Law & Economics courses. Additionally, all students must meet all requirements of the Vietnam Summer Study Abroad Program.
The cost of the Study Abroad Program can be broken down as follows:
|Application Fee:||$ 200|
|Program Fee:||$ 500|
|Passport (if necessary)||$ 165|
|Airfare (both to Vietnam & Hue)||$ 2,164|
|International Travel Health Ins.||$ 65|
|Books and Supplies||$ 50|
1-Credit, In-Country. Additionally, students participating only in the 1-credit, in-country from 5/18 to 6/1 have the following estimated costs for hotels, meals, and local transportation.
|Hotels (assuming 2 students per room)||$ 679|
|Independent Local Transportation||$ 77|
3-Credit, In-Country. Alternatively, students participating only in the 3-credit, in-country from 5/18 to 6/26 have the following estimated costs for hotels, meals, and local transportation.
|Hotels (assuming 2 students per room)||$ 1,379|
|Independent Local Transportation||$ 231|
Please be aware that there are a limited number of scholarships that are available to defray part of these expenses. On average, it is expected that scholarships will be for approximately $2000.
However, in order to be eligible for these scholarships, the student must have completed the Application and paid the Application Fee AND Program Fee on or before March 17, 2023.
While in Hanoi, the Study Abroad Program will afford students with a mixture of classroom and non-classroom learning experiences. Scheduled activities (subject to change) include visits to:
- the Vietnamese National Assembly
- the Vietnamese Supreme People’s Court
- the Ministry of Justice
- an active trial at a trial-court level
- the U.S. Embassy, and
- the American Chamber of Commerce in Hanoi.
Additionally, there will be classroom opportunities in Law & Economics conducted with students and faculty of Hanoi Law University.
While in Hue, the Study Abroad Program will continue providing a mixture of classroom and non-classroom learning experiences. Scheduled activities (subject to change) include visits to:
- A local law firm operating in Hue
- Historically significant sites
- Classroom opportunities in Law & Economics conducted with students and faculty of Hue University School of Law.
With prior faculty approval, students will have the option of conducting original research intended for the production of publishable work. Any students wishing to conduct such research should contact Professor Patrick H. Gaughan to discuss potential options.
Although expressly subject to change, the minimum requirements to make the trip are:
- Compliance with all travel recommendations by the U.S. government and the Socialist Republic of Vietnam
- Agree to any and all quarantine requirements connected with travel and/or positive Covid test results
- Compliance with all requirements of UA’s Education Abroad Office (faculty leaders will work with students to comply with these requirements)
- Successful completion of the two-credit intersession course
- A valid U.S. passport
- All required inoculations (including Covid-19 vaccinations)
- A tourist visa (which Akron will help students obtain)
- And a signed contract to comply with all laws and regulations of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam.
Additionally, all students contemplating travel to Vietnam should be aware of current Covid-19 travel concerns and restrictions found on the US Department of State travel information sites.
Professors Gaughan and Spring will teach the 2-credit summer course and accompany the students while in Hanoi.
- Gary Spring is currently a Visiting Practitioner and formerly a Clinical Professor of Law and Director of the Small Entrepreneur and Economic Development (SEED) Clinic at Akron Law. Professor Spring teaches Sports Law, Civil Procedure, Professional Responsibility and Negotiations.
An informational session will be held at Akron Law as trip requirements and plans become clearer.