Tuition & scholarships for international students
Tuition and personal costs
Estimated annual expenses:
|Tuition & fees||$16,000|
|On-campus room & board *||$10,590 (see source)|
* The University offers many housing and dining options. The room-and-board charges are estimated using mid-range costs for housing and the most popular meal plan (board), providing two meals a day.
If you bring dependents [spouse and/or child(ren)], add $3,405 per dependent to the total.
Residency: In general, international students are considered out-of-state residents for their entire college career. If you are an international student with certain special situations, please visit in-state residency for more information.
In addition to our already very affordable cost of attendance, The University of Akron offers a variety of scholarship packages for international students to help them pursue their education.
For new freshman only, the following three scholarships are available:
To be eligible for New Freshman scholarships (including the Akron International Scholars Award):
- You are a high school student or equivalent
- Have never enrolled in a college/university
The Akron Presidential Scholarship is awarded at levels between $1,000 and $7,500 in the first year. Learn more.
Akron Advantage is a tuition surcharge waiver.
Out-of-state recipients of the Akron Presidential Scholarship (both international students and out-of-state American students) will automatically receive an annual $3,000 tuition surcharge waiver. So if you receive the minimum $1000 Akron Presidential Scholarship in the first year, you will save $20,000 in total cost of attendance in four years. If you receive the maximum $7,500 in the first year, you will save $46,000 in total cost of attendance in four years.
- There is no separate application
- See more for out-of-state students
The Akron International Scholars Award (AISA) is a full tuition, room and board scholarship awarded to ONE new international freshman who demonstrates outstanding academic performance and significant financial need. The AISA is awarded to a new incoming applicant each fall semester and is renewable for four years. In order to be eligible for the AISA, applicants must have completed high school or equivalent less than three years ago and have never enrolled in a college/university. A completed admissions application must also be on file to be considered for the AISA.
Steps to apply for AISA scholarship:
- Complete your application to The University of Akron
- See steps and requirements to apply to the university
- Submit the Akron International Scholars Award application
- Visit your status page to check your application status and upload any missing materials*
- Access to the status page will be granted by email after you submit your AISA application
*Documents to submit with your application:
- high school transcripts
- proof of English proficiency
- SAT or ACT scores (optional)
- letters of recommendation (optional)
The following documents regarding your household finances will also be requested:
- three months of bank statements
- letter from employer (optional)
- pay stubs (optional)
- tax forms (optional)
- scholarship letters (optional)
The fall 2022 AISA application will open later this year. Please check back for more information.
Provost’s Scholarship for Transfer Students/h3>
The Provost’s Scholarship for Transfer Students is also available for international transfer students. Awarded at levels $1,000 to $2,500 per year. You are automatically considered when you apply for admission as a transfer student.
If you transfer from U.S. university or college:
|When do you want to start?||Submit your application by:||Submit your transcript, application fee and all required items by:|
|Nov 15||Dec 1|
|April 15||May 1|
|June 15||July 1|
If you transfer from a foreign university or college:
|When do you want to start?||Submit your application, application fee and all required items by:|