THE UNIVERSITY OF AKRON
Department of Geosciences
In the Geosciences Program at The University of Akron, our professors instruct more than 150 undergraduate students. Our research covers hydrogeology, paleoclimate reconstruction, climate change, sedimentology, geochemistry, geobiology, and geochemistry.
You will have access to modern instrumentation for geologic and environmental research.
Degrees we offer
We offer bachelor of arts and bachelor of science degrees, and students can participate in Honors College programs in coordination with their geology program.
For graduate students, we offer degrees in Geology, Earth Science and Environmental Science. Graduate students in the department enjoy a wide range of research opportunities.
GeoZips in the News
- Dr. Peck discusses removal of the Gorge Dam
- Dr. Senko “STEM High School students learn about research opportunities during lab visit”. Sept 24, 2018
- Dr. Peck “Field Trip and research mark start of Five-Star Fridays”. Sept 6, 2018
- Dr. Donnelly “Projects by faculty win Experiential Learning Center funding”. Nov 16, 2017
- Dr. Linda Barrett “Research team digs into new technique” Nov 2, 2017
- Alumnus Joe Rumschlag “Environmental engineering is topic for geosciences guest speaker”. Oct 16, 2017
- Drs. Barton, Senko, Sasowsky “Unique iron ore caves of Brazil to be studied by our geoscientists”. Sept 28, 2017
- Alumnus Brian Fritz “Geology alumnus and author to be honored”. Aug 30, 2017
- Mr. Nick Frankovits “Geosciences lecturer scores over founding fathers in essay contest”. Aug 4, 2017
- Grad Student Kyle McDaniel “Geosciences graduate student presents research at International Conference”. May 26, 2017
- Dr. Thomka “Faculty and staff among LIFE Award honorees”. Apr 21, 2017