Richard W. and Charlotte Staiger Garden
In October 2004, The Richard and Charlotte Staiger Garden was established by a generous gift from Richard and Charlotte (Enyart) Staiger. Richard graduated with a bachelors degree in business administration in 1948.
In 2005, the grounds near Leigh Hall were transformed into a pedestrian-friendly, park-like campus setting. The Staiger Garden begins on the east corner of Leigh Hall and continues west, in front of the John S. Knight Auditorium on Buchtel Common.
The Richard and Charlotte Staiger Garden is a lasting tribute to the memory of Richard’s parents; William J. and Helen L. Staiger, and Charlotte’s parents Charles W. Enyart, a former UA Board of Trustees member, and Margaret C. Enyart. It features Japanese Maple trees and two memorial benches along a winding brick pathway, surrounded by several annual and perennial plantings and shade trees. Straw-colored grasses were used to complement the deep purple of the Japanese Maple trees. Viburnum, spirea, holly, and cherry trees complete the composition. Sea oats were added to enrich the garden with sound while gently swaying in a breeze.
Benefits to campus
The Richard and Charlotte Staiger Garden is located in the heart of campus and is a lovely meeting spot, or respite area for students, faculty, staff, administrators, and visitors to enjoy.
The Richard W. and Charlotte Staiger Endowed Fund was established in 2003 to provide a lasting resource for the maintenance and overall upkeep of the Staiger Garden.
To honor a loved one through a named space opportunity on campus, please contact the Department of Development at firstname.lastname@example.org