Psychology: Industrial/Organizational, M.A.
Master of Arts in Psychology: Industrial/Organizational
About the Degree
The I/O psychology graduate program at The University of Akron is one of the most respected programs in the nation and has been consistently ranked as a top ten graduate program for decades1. The I/O coursework and organizational opportunities reflect our commitment to a scientist/practitioner model. Thanks to this blend of research and applied experiences we are currently the ONLY I/O graduate program to rank in the top 5 for producing the most academics, the most external consultants and the most organization-based professionals2. Our 6 full-time faculty offer coursework and applied experiences which are most relevant for I/O professionals who will be employed in consulting firms, multinational corporations, municipalities and non-profit organizations. Students complete this program in two years and are highly competitive in all of these industries.
Students are trained to apply basic psychological research and theory to the world of work. Social and cognitive psychology are the underpinnings of our more specialized courses in applicant selection, performance appraisal, training, leadership, motivation and group behavior. The two-year curriculum also includes hands-on training with survey and statistical tools which are critical for industry. Students complete a field internship and are encouraged to participate in consulting projects in order to gain experience in the profession.
Salary and Career Outlook
I/O psychology is THE fastest growing occupation. The job market for I/O professionals is projected to grow by 53% through 2022 and candidates with specialist degrees are expected to have the best job opportunities and be most competitive for these new jobs.
Salaries for I/O professionals with a master's degree:
- Entry-level, 56K
- Senior-level, 96K
- Manager/Director, 109K
- We have produced more I/O Psychologists in the past 4 decades than any other program – our graduates have the largest representation in the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology2
- We have produced the largest amount of consultants and organization-based professionals of any I/O program2
- Almost all large consulting firms and many multinational corporations currently have at least one of our graduates as employees
- Through the Center for Organizational Research, faculty garner contracts and grants which provide valuable funding and job experience for our students and strengthens our relationships with organizations that employ I/O professionals
- Graduates from this program are known for having a well-rounded I/O background, strong quantitative ability and excellent presentation skills
- Our graduates have been aggressively recruited by industry leaders for over 30 years – the Akron name is well known and highly respected
Program advantages for our students:
- Students receive course instruction from full time faculty in the #7 nationally ranked I/O program
- Students collaborate with their Ma/Phd student cohort on research and field projects
- Since students are not required to complete an independent research project, almost all of our students obtain their degree in 2 years
- Most students have paid internships with local organizations and consulting firms
- Students have access to an extensive and active alumni network of I/O professionals
- Students gain experience as external consultants with the Center for Organizational Research
- Students have high placement rates both locally and nationally
- The Akron area offers a great value in standard of living
Recent employers include:
- Madison Square Garden, Compensation Analyst
- Tier1 Performance Solutions, Business Consultant
- Walmart, Senior Manager Global Selection and Assessment Strategy
Dr. Andrea F. Snell
Chair, I/O Graduate Program