Kristine E Sonstrom Malowski, AuD, PhD, CCC-A, FAAA
I joined the University of Akron School of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology in 2015 after earning a dual-Doctorate in Audiology (Au.D.) and Philosophy (Ph.D.) from the University of Cincinnati. I completed my clinical audiology externship at Yale Hearing and Balance Center in Connecticut. As part of my externship, I researched correlations between objective and subjective measures in patients with balance disorders. My Ph.D. research focused on the Establishment of Normative Auditory Electrophysiologic Measures in Military and Service Working Dogs (Unclassified). During my studies, I obtained a Certificate in Animal Audiology from FETCHLABTM through the University of Cincinnati, a lab devoted to canine hearing testing and the study of animal bioacoustics. I currently serve as the FETCHLABTM Akron Director, working in collaboration with the University of Cincinnati (UC FETCHLABTM, Founder) and the University of Northern Colorado (FETCHLABTM UNC). Recently, I completed a funded study investigating Noise-Induced Hearing Loss in K9 and Non-K9 Police Officer Handlers, while continuing ongoing inter-professional and canine-related audiology research projects.
Professional and Research Interests
- Auditory Electrophysiology / Neuro-Audiology
- Noise-Induced Hearing Loss
- Animal Audiology and Bioacoustics
- Vestibular Assessment and Management
- Clinical Interprofessionalism and Mentorship
- American Academy of Audiology
- Journal of Acoustical Society of America
- American Speech Language and Hearing Association
Licensure and Certifications
- Audiology License, Ohio Board of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology
- Board Certification in Audiology, American Board of Audiology
- Fellow of the American Academy of Audiology
- Certificate of Clinical Competence (Audiology), American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- Certificate in Animal Audiology, University of Cincinnati FETCHLABTM
- Certificate of Training: VNG/ENG Administration and Interpretation, GN Otometrics
- Certificate of Completion: NIH Proposals Workshop
Scheifele, P.M., Sonstrom, K.E., Overall, K.L., Dunham, A.E. (2016). Is noise reactivity reflected in auditory response variables, including those that measure cognition, in dogs? Initial findings. Journal of Veterinary Behavior Clinical Applications and Research 16, 65-75.
Scheifele, P.M., Sonstrom, K.E., Overall, K., Dunham, A.E. (2015). Middle latency response testing for auditory cognition in canines. Journal of Veterinary Behavior Clinical Applications and Research 10(5): 439-440.
Scheifele, P.M., Johnson, M.T., Byrne, D.C., Clark, J.G., Vandlik, A., Kretschmer, L.W., Sonstrom, K.E. (2012). Noise Impacts from Professional Dog Grooming Forced-Air Dryers. Noise & Health, 14 (60).
Scheifele, P.M., Clark, J.G., Sonstrom, K.E., Kim, H., Potty, G., Miller, J., Gaglione, E. (2012). Ballroom Music Spillover into a Beluga Whale Aquarium Exhibit. Advances in Acoustic and Vibration, Vol. 2012, Article ID 402130, 7 pp.
Adi, K.; Sonstrom, K.E.; Scheifele, P.M.; Johnson, M.T. (2008). Unsupervised Validity Measures for Vocalization Clustering. International Conference on Acoustics Speech and Signal Processing 2008 (ICASSP08), Las Vegas, Nevada, April 2008 Page(s): 4377 – 4380
Sonstrom, K. & Scheifele, P.M. (In Press). Canine Audiology. In Advances in Audiology, Speech Pathology and Hearing Science. Hatzopoulos, S., Ciorba, A., Krumm, M. (Eds.) Apple Academic Press, Oakville, ON.
Graduate Teaching (The University of Akron):
- Evaluation and Management of Balance Disorders
- Advanced Electrophysiologic and Vestibular Measures
- Audiologic Treatment Across the Lifespan
- Multicultural Issues in Audiology
- Seminar in Audiology
- Clerkship and Internship (Clinical courses)
Graduate and Undergraduate Teaching (Prior Experience):
- Anatomy of Voice and Speech Production
- Neurological Foundations of Communication Sciences and Disorders
- Neurological Basis of Communication Disorders
- Audiology I
- Companion Animal Management