Living-Learning Communities (LLCs) and Themed Housing
Do you hope to fully integrate your residential and academic experiences? The University of Akron Living-Learning Communities (LLCs) and Themed Housing are established to provide distinctive settings where student academic success is supported through residential University community.
Living-Learning Communities bring academics into the residence halls by placing students with a common interest together on a floor or residence hall section, with access to:
- have a specifically designated academic component or requirement
- have faculty/staff that are closely working with the community both inside and outside the classroom.
- have application requirements
- resident assistants and/or peer mentors assigned to these floors/areas will provide programs for students that are in line with the goals of the community.
- students share an academic or special interest in common
- resident assistants assigned to these floors/areas will provide programs for students that are in line with the theme for the community.
Students living in either type of these communities build even deeper connections to other members in the community, have great access to faculty and to the university, and this often results in better grades and a richer college experience.
Today, you can explore about 20 University community LLCs. See the list.
What are the benefits of community living & academics?
Recent national studies have emphasized the unique potential for Living-Learning Communities and themed housing to positively impact student success and retention. Not only do students perform better in class, but they feel more connected to their peers, the faculty and the University, and as a result, are more likely to return the next year.
Likewise, Living-Learning Communities and Themed Housing allow you to:
- access an enhanced residential experience through specialized programs;
- experience increased faculty and staff contact outside the classroom (for living-learning communities);
- experience greater academic support opportunities;
- foster a greater connection to the University; and
- build lifetime friendships
How can I apply to a University LLC?
- Complete your housing application/contract in the MyHousing portal in MyAkron.
- Personalize your experience:
- You will receive notice once your housing application/contract is complete giving you instructions to log back into MyHousing to "Personalize your Experience".
- As part of this process, you will be asked if you want to participate in one of the Living-Learning Communities or Themed Housing. Check the box of the community you are requesting to participate in.
- You will then receive information on next steps based on the community you have identified.
- Some communities require an additional application.
- Select your room:
- You will receive information when it is time to select your room.
- You will log back into the MyHousing portal and choose the link for room selection.
- Based on the community in which you have selected and/or been admitted into, you will only be able to select from rooms in that community.