The Graduate School
CHOOSE TO RISE
The University of Akron offers graduate degrees designed to help you advance your career. Learn from world-class graduate faculty and study with other career-focused students from diverse backgrounds.
How we’re making it easier to become a graduate student at UA
- GRE requirement is waived for fall 2020 admission cycle.
College of Engineering applicants
- Application fee is being waived for current UA students applying to a UA Engineering program for Summer 2021 or Fall 2021.
Industrial/Organizational Psychology applicants
- GRE requirement is waived for MA/Ph.D. program and terminal master’s program applicants for fall 2021 cohort.
English language proficiency
- We have approved the use of the Duolingo English Test (DET) for demonstration of English proficiency since many testing centers have closed because of the pandemic. The DET will be accepted in place of the in-person TOEFL and IELTS through December 13, 2020.
- Applicants will need to receive a DET score of 115 or higher to satisfy our proficiency requirement for graduate admissions.
Our research endeavors extend across all colleges and include many multidisciplinary centers and labs.
Professor honored for her study of cave life
Dr. Hazel Barton’s lifelong dedication to the exploration, study and protection of caves is recognized by the National Speleological Society.
$1.9 grant to support asthma research
The project seeks to understand how asthma symptoms and other inflammatory conditions are aggravated by examining the link between two lipid mediators formed from fatty acids.
Better treatment for families hit by opioids
$1.3 million grant from the U.S. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration strives to understand the best ways to limit the ripple effect of opioid use on the extended family.
Graduate student’s journey as an educator continues at UA
Graduate student wins prestigious fellowship, fleshes out bone research
With a Ph.D. in Polymer Science, graduate student plans to focus on sustainability challenges
LIVING IN AKRON
OUR UNIVERSITY is located in the heart of a vibrant downtown and minutes away from an abundance of recreational opportunities. The dynamic campus offers Broadway shows, sporting events, arts performances, and an award winning student recreation center.
Akron itself is a hidden gem in many respects. Situated in northeastern Ohio, Akron boasts a rich history and exciting renaissance. Having retooled itself over the past few decades, the area is a magnet for jobs and investment. Akron’s top industries include health care, education, manufacturing, technology, bioscience and polymers.