BFA, Graphic Design
Graphic Design Fundamentals
Graphic Design is the largest program within the Myers School of Art. It is a professional program for students pursuing careers in the expanding multidisciplinary field of visual communication design. Critical thinking and logical problem solving in print, web and interactive media are emphasized.
The curriculum teaches communication theories, principles and processes using current industry standard technology. Students gain an understanding that design is an investment in innovative thinking, positioning, branding and communication that creates value for businesses. We encourage our students to become engaged, socially responsible, and thoughtful designers.
All students participate in opportunities to learn beyond the classroom which helps to maintain an 80% job placement rate, three months after graduation.
Curriculum & Recommended Sequencing
Students are presented with a broad range of facilities and opportunities while pursuing their BFA in Graphic Design such as:
- Gain real-world skills through Design X Nine, the in-house student design studio serving on- and off-campus clients.
- Strengthen design and business skills through professional internship in a studio, agency, or corporate environment.
- Engage with local design professionals while participating in the active local chapter of the American Advertising Federation (AAF-Akron).
- Portfolio review by area Art Directors through American Institute of Graphic Artists (AIGA).
- Students in our programs have won over 100 design awards in competitions and have been published in major design journals.
Career Information & Resources
- Research Careers—Browse database, videos, top ten lists, and more
- Salary Calculator—Salaries by career and geographic area
- Occupational Outlook Handbook—job responsibilities, salaries, education required, and job outlook
- Career One Stop—Explore careers, salary and benefits, training required, and job seeker services by state
- O*Net—Quick search tool for Ohio jobs data and more
- Career Services—helping students and alumni explore and reach career goals.
- Handshake—Explore opportunities for internships, jobs and careers after graduation
For more information on the Graphic Design profession, visit www.aiga.org.
Recent Graphic Design Job Placements
- Art Director, Geometry Global (Akron, OH)
- Digital Experience Designer, Abercrombie & Fitch (Columbus, OH)
- Digital Designer, Bandujo Advertising + Design (New York, NY)
- Graphic Designer, David Stark Design (New York, NY)
- Graphic Designer, Details Magazine (New York, NY)
- Graphic Designer, Flourish (Cleveland, OH)
- Graphic Designer, J.M. Smucker Company (Orville, OH)
- Graphic Designer, Sterling Jewelers (Akron, OH)
- Marketing Communications Manager, MediaLab 3D Solutions (Tampa, FL)
- Product Line Designer, American Greetings (Cleveland, OH)
- Senior XU/UI Designer, Key Bank (Cleveland, OH)
- Senior Marketing Strategist, Summa Health (Akron, OH)
- Graphic Designer, SoundCloud (New York, NY)