STEP-BY-STEP APPLICATION PROCESS
The law school application process is very straightforward, but it does require some planning.
- Our application deadline for summer admission is March 31.
- The deadline for fall admission is March 31.
- The deadline for spring is Nov. 30.
Late applications may be possible though, depending on space availability.
Process steps and timing
The following is a suggested step-by-step process to help you plan. You need not complete these steps in the order below, but doing so tends to offer a smooth path through the application process.
Note that this process typically begins the year before you plan on entering into law school. For example, someone planning to enter law school in the fall 2020 semester would ideally begin this process in the late summer or fall 2019. Here are the steps you need to take:
- Establish an account at www.lsac.org (this is free).
- Register for the LSAC Credential Assembly Service ("CAS"; see www.lsac.org for current fees).
- Register to take the Law School Admission Test (LSAT) or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- Request letters of recommendation from professors, employers, and colleagues (use the LSAC Letter of Recommendation Service for this).
- Have every college or university you have ever attended send a transcript to CAS (here are instructions).
- Check your LSAC account to ensure all letters of recommendation and transcripts have arrived at CAS and been processed.
- Take the LSAT or GRE.
- Receive your LSAT or GRE score. Test scores are generally available within 2-4 weeks after you take the test.
- If applying using the GRE, you must arrange for the Educational Testing Service (www.ETS.org/gre) to send your GRE scores to Akron Law. Log into to your ETS account and select The University of Akron School of Law as a recipient using the Akron Law institution code (4689).
- Complete the admission application.
This step-by-step process is intended to give a very general outline of the application process. After reading this, we suggest reading through our detailed application requirements and detailed instructions for completing the admission application to get a more thorough understanding of what is required of you.
Note about qualifications for admission to the Bar
In addition to a bar examination, there are character, fitness, and other qualifications for admission to the bar in every U.S. jurisdiction. Applicants are encouraged to determine the requirements for any jurisdiction in which they intend to seek admission by contacting the jurisdiction. Addresses for all relevant agencies are available through the National Conference of Bar Examiners.