*** In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, APTS Training has transitioned to a remote workforce. The decision aligns with our goal to lower the number of interactions on campus, slow the rate of transmission, and protect our community.
While all classes scheduled in April and May have been canceled, we are currently accepting registrations for courses scheduled after June 1, 2020. We will monitor the situation and may have additional cancelations.
Staff will be monitoring emails and voicemails. Our clients and instructors are very important to us, so please feel free to contact us. ***
Surface Treatment of Material for Adhesive Bonding - 1 Day Course
Time: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Location: Akron Polymer Training Center, Akron, OH 44325-5404
Cost: $800 USD
Instructor: Dr. Sina Ebnesajjad
Adhesion using an adhesive has proven to be an effective means of material bonding. In general five steps must be taken to adhesively-bond two objects together successfully:
- Proper choice of adhesive.
- Good joint design.
- Cleanliness of surfaces.
- Wetting of the surfaces that are to be bonded together by the adhesive.
- Proper adhesive bonding process (solidification and cure)
Modification of the surface of the substrates (Steps 3 and 4 above) is the topic covered in this one-day course. Participants will gain both theoretical and practical knowledge of the most important methods of surface treatment for different materials. Practical methods of surface treatment of materials for adhesion will be emphasized. A major focus of the course will be on polymeric materials because of the their increased use in important applications such as automotive and aerospace. A range of topics will be covered from cleaning the surfaces of the substrates to the use of dry and wet chemical methods to modify the material surfaces.
Sina Ebnesajjad founded the FluoroConsultants Group (www.FluoroConsultants.com) in 2006 where he has been working as a consultant globally. He retired as a Senior Technology Associate in 2005 from the DuPont Company after 23 years of service. He holds six patents. His experiences include fluoropolymer technologies, surface modification of materials and adhesive bonding.
He is the author, editor and co-author of over fifteen technical books including three books in surface treatment of materials and adhesives technology and seven handbooks of fluoropolymers technologies and applications.
Sina is also The Series Editor of Plastics Design Library, published by Elsevier; he oversees Elsevier’s engineering publications in the areas of plastics, elastomers and adhesives. He earned his master’s and PhD degrees in Chemical Engineering from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
- Definitions Adhesive Bonding, Adhesives and Surface Preparation
- Theories of Adhesion
- Adhesive Failure Modes and Mechanisms
- Introduction to Surface Treatment Methods
- Chemical Treatment
- Surface Tension and its Measurement
- Surface Energy of Solids and its Measurement
- Surface Characterization Techniques
- Adhesive Bond Testing
- Summary Review of Surface Preparation Techniques
- Surface Treatment of Metals
- Surface Treatment of Plastics
- Sol-gel Process
- Methods for Evaluating Effectiveness of Surface Preparation
- Surface Preparation of Metals
- Surface Treatment and Bonding of Ceramics
- Surface Preparation of Polymeric Materials
- Surface Preparation of Thermoplastics
- Surface Preparation of Thermosets
- Surface Preparation of Reinforced Thermoplastics
- Surface Preparation of Plastic Foams
- Surface Preparation of Rubbers
- Surface Preparation of Thermoplastic Elastomer
- Surface Preparation of Painted Surfaces
- Plasma Treatment of Polymers
- Effects of Additives on Surface Treatment of Plastics
- Adhesion Promoters