- World War II
- Community Service/Civic Groups
- Historical Organizations
- Photograph Collections
- Regional History Collection
- Rubber Industry
- Special Collections
- University of Akron
- Civil War
WZIP-FM RecordsRange: 1952 - 2013 Size: 6.0 Record Group: $content.recordGroup
WZIP (88.1 FM) is a non-commercial college radio station owned by The University of Akron that serves the Akron, Ohio metropolitan area. The station broadcasts a rhythmic contemporary hit radio format as well as news, sports talk, and public affairs in both analog and online formats. WZIP first began broadcasting as WAUP in 1962, but changed its call sign in 1989 to reflect the University’s mascot, the Zips. The records include correspondence, manuals, magazine and newspaper articles, and audio and program logs.
White, Judge Harold F., PapersRange: 1958 - 1999 Size: 2.0 Record Group: $content.recordGroup
Judge Harold F. White (1920-2014) was a graduate of The University of Akron (UA) School of Law (Class of 1952) and served on the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Ohio for more than 41 years, from 1958 to 1999. He also served as adjunct professor in the School of Law at UA and received an Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters from University. His papers include documents and newspaper clippings that document his life and work.
Welton, Allen, Collection; Oak Hill Cheese Factory, CollectionRange: 1862 - 1876 Size: .25 cubic foot Record Group: 99/87
Allen Welton (1809-1878) of New York settled in Peninsula, Ohio in 1841 and became a prominent dairy farmer by building a successful cheese factory on his property, the Oak Hill Factory, the first in Summit County and one of the largest cheese producers in the area in the nineteenth century. Welton later opened the county’s second factory in Bath and helped the Western Reserve earn the nickname “Cheesedom” as he shipped his cheese throughout the Midwest and east coast of the United States and to the United Kingdom. The collection includes correspondence, postcards, circulars, receipts, and market reports pertaining to Welton and the Oak Hill Cheese Factory. The early correspondence relates to the American Civil War and Reconstruction era.[Finding Aid]
Seiberling, Willard P., PapersRange: 1859 - 1964 Size: 29 cubic feet Record Group: 99/130
Willard Penfield Seiberling (1892-1981) was the son of Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company co-founder F. A. Seiberling and his wife, Gertrude Penfield Seiberling. He was the first assistant manager and then manager of the Goodyear Aeronautics Department. He later served as a manager at the Seiberling Tire and Rubber Company and eventually became secretary and director. His papers include personal and business correspondence, drawings, photographs, negatives, blueprints, and legal documents regarding his business activities at both the Goodyear and Seiberling tire and rubber companies.[Finding Aid]
Private Industry Council of AkronRange: 1979 - 1982 Size: 1.3 Record Group: 99/95
The Private Industry Council (PIC) of Akron was formed in 1978 as an outgrowth of President Jimmy Carter’s Private Sector Initiative Program. The records consist of correspondence, newspaper clippings, articles, booklets, pamphlets, reports, surveys, photographs, and advertisements relating to PIC activities, including job training and hiring programs and advertising campaigns to attract new businesses to Akron.[Finding Aid]
Ohio Edison Company RecordsRange: 1869 - 1964 Size: 315 cubic feet Record Group: 99/102
The Ohio Edison Company (OEC) was formed in 1950 after a merger between the Ohio Public Service and Ohio Edison. With its headquarters located in Akron, Ohio, the OEC was responsible for providing services to 569 rural communities and 22 municipalities. The OEC continued to expand to become the FirstEnergy Corporation in 1996. The records include minute books, ledgers, cash books, operating reports, and photographs from over 200 subsidiary companies that formed Ohio Edison and Ohio Public Service. The records also include information on street car and interurban development including annual reports, timetables, motormen reports, financial records, and photographs.[Finding Aid]
Manufacturers' Mutual Fire Insurance CompanyRange: 1900 - 1940 Size: 4 cubic feet Record Group:
Insurance plan drawings for industrial sites in the Northeast, Midwest, and South, most located in Pennsylvania, New York and Ohio. Plans give isometric and flat plan views of plant sites and include detailed information on construction and layout. Scale: 1"=50'.
Jacobson, John and Betty, PapersRange: 1936 - 1979 Size: 5.5 Record Group: $content.recordGroup
John M. Jacobson (1911-1992) and Betty Virginia (Heberlein) Jacobson (1917-2007) of Akron, Ohio owned and operated the John Jacobson Company, General Contractors. The couple were very active in numerous community organizations including the Akron Art Museum, Akron Civic Theater, Akron General Hospital, Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens, Weathervane Theater, and The University of Akron. Their papers including correspondence, pamphlets, newspaper clippings, photographs, and negatives that document their life and work and numerous community organizations.
Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company RecordsRange: 1898 - 1993 Size: 1,000 cubic feet Record Group: 99/106
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company was founded in Akron, Ohio in 1898 by F.A. and C.W. Seiberling. The company began by manufacturing bicycle and carriage tires, but soon produced tires for automobiles, trucks, airplanes, tractors, and earth-moving equipment, as well as mechanical goods such as belts, hoses, and conveyors. During the world wars the company manufactured blimps and balloons as well as airplane parts and tires for military vehicles. Goodyear later manufactured weapons for the Cold War and components for the space program. The records include correspondence, annual reports, financial reports, publications, news releases, newspaper clippings, advertisements, scrapbooks, product files, photographs, and films and video that document the history of the company. Topics include aviation, lighter-than-air flight, labor relations, employee activities, products, advertising, plants and plantations, public relations, and racing.[Finding Aid]
Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Records, Photographic Prints and Negatives SeriesRange: 1912 - 1984 Size: 772 cubic feet Record Group: 99/106
The Photographic Prints and Negatives Series of The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Records consists of approximately half a million images that visually document the history of the company from 1912-1984. The images depict a variety of topics including factory scenes and equipment, lighter-than-airships, parade balloons, employees, company farms and plantations, numerous rubber products, professional and amateur sports, automotive and motorcycle racing, advertising, aeronautics, women in the workplace, war-time production, and Goodyear’s extensive line of passenger, commercial, and other tires. Formats include glass plate, nitrate, and acetate negatives in addition to black and white and color prints and slides. All images from 1912-1951 have been digitized and are available on our Digital Collections Website.
Goodrich, (B.F.) CompanyRange: 1868 - 1990 Size: 500 cubic feet Record Group: 99/132
Board of Director's minutes; annual reports; journals, ledgers, and other accounting records of the parent company, various domestic subsidiaries, and BFGoodrich International; advertising material; publications and news releases; speeches by corporate officials; registrations of patents and trademarks; research center reports and other files; product information; photographs and films.[Finding Aid]
General Tire and Rubber Company Records, Public Relations SeriesRange: 1915 - 1996 Size: 168 cubic feet Record Group: 99/103
The General Tire and Rubber Company was founded in Akron, Ohio in 1915. It originally focused on truck and then automobile tires, but later branched into aerospace and defense, entertainment and broadcasting, chemicals/plastics, and industrial products. Although Continental AG bought General Tire in 1987, it continues to develop, produce, and market tires for automotive applications. The Public Relations Series consists of company publications, scrapbooks, advertisements, posters, calendars, and banners as well as photographs of foreign and domestic plants and installations, dealerships, and equipment. It also consists of over a thousand motion picture films, videos, and sound recordings.
General Tire and Rubber Company RecordsRange: 1940 - 1973 Size: 155 cubic feet Record Group: 99/103
The General Tire & Rubber Company was founded in Akron, Ohio in 1915 by William O’Neil and Winfred E. Fouse. The company began by making repair materials for tires, but moved on to produce their own brand of tires and eventually became the fifth major tire manufacturer in the United States. Their discovery of oil-extended rubber in 1949 caused a major legal debate with larger tire manufacturers over the patent rights to the use of oil-extended rubber. The bulk of the records relate to the court cases and include court records, exhibits, technical reports, manufacturers literature, and other material, both original and on microfilm.
Evans, Opie, PapersRange: ca. 1940 - 1990 Size: 32 Record Group: 99/246
Opie Evans (1906-2000) was an African-American photographer, reporter, broadcaster, publisher, and businessman in Akron, Ohio who accomplished many firsts for African-Americans in the city. His papers consist of correspondence, photographic prints and negatives, newspapers and publications, and sound recordings that document the life and work of Evans in addition to the African-American community in the Akron area.
Dales Family PapersRange: 1895 - 1972 Size: .86 Record Group: 99/181
The George S. Dales Company was founded by George S. Dales Sr. in 1876. Known for selling jewelry, instruments, and Victrola's, it was handed down to George S. Dales Jr. and then to Gerald L. Dales and lasted until 1969. George Dales Jr's other son, George Franklin Dales, founded the George Franklin Dales company in 1946. Working with Mechanical Industries Production Company, he invented the Mighty Mite Thermostat. Included in the collection are 39 Glass plate negatives showing images from around the turn of the 19th-20th century.[Finding Aid]
Corbin Foundation, Mary S. and David C., RecordsRange: 1940s - 2000s Size: 1.25 Record Group: $content.recordGroup
The Mary S. and David C. Corbin Foundation was created in 1968 by Mr. and Mrs. Corbin to help enrich the lives of the people of Akron and Summit County, Ohio. Mr. Corbin (1901-1979) owned and founded City Chevrolet in Akron, one of the largest automobile dealerships in Ohio, and took part in many business and civic organizations. The records include letters, newspaper clippings, funded projects files, photographs, scrapbooks, certificates, and biographical information that document the history of the foundation and the life and work of the Corbins.
Blair, Charles V., PapersRange: 1964 - 1973 Size: 4 cubic feet Record Group: 99/94
Charles V. Blair (1933-2004) served in various roles at The University of Akron including Director of the News Bureau and Institute for Civic Education and Dean of the Evening College. His papers include correspondence, meeting minutes, financial statements, project proposals, progress reports, and newspaper clippings of the Summit County Greater Akron Community Action Council, the Akron-Summit Tutorial Program, and Upward Bound.[Finding Aid]
Better Business Bureau of Stark County RecordsRange: 1962 - 1977 Size: 21 cubic feet Record Group: $content.recordGroup
The Better Business The Better Business Bureau (BBB) of Stark County (also known as the Canton Better Business Bureau and Better Business Bureau of Canton and Greater West Virginia) was founded in 1961 and serves the Canton region in addition to 12 counties in Ohio and 52 in West Virginia. The Canton BBB strives to be the leader in advancing marketplace trust and provides numerous services to the community including business reviews, dispute resolution, education information, and business ethics. The records consist of board meeting minutes, publications, scrapbooks, correspondence, and case files.
Better Business Bureau of Akron RecordsRange: 1920 - 1976 Size: 67 cubic feet Record Group: $content.recordGroup
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) of Akron was founded in 1920 and serves both businesses and consumers in a six-county area including Ashland, Medina, Portage, Richland, Summit, and Wayne counties. The Akron BBB strives to be the leader in advancing marketplace trust and provides numerous services to the community including business reviews, dispute resolution, education information, and business ethics. The records consist of board meeting minutes, publications, scrapbooks, correspondence, and case files.
All-American Soap Box Derby RecordsRange: 1936 - 1974 Size: 2.25 Record Group: 99/149
The All-American Soap Box Derby is a youth soap box car race started in Dayton, Ohio in 1934, but held annually in Akron, Ohio since 1935, except for a four-year hiatus during World War II. The records consist of correspondence from local races held in numerous states and several countries as well as subject files containing various financial records, administrative files, organizational documents, and a few photographs and ephemera.
Alert Hose Company No. 3Range: 1883 - 1892 Size: 1 cubic foot Record Group:
Minutes of the monthly group meetings of the Alert Hose Company located in Canton, Stark County, Ohio.
Alderfer, Sterling W., PapersRange: 1926 - 1970 Size: 0.2 Record Group: $content.recordGroup
Sterling W. Alderfer (1897-1983) was an industrialist and inventor from Akron, Ohio with over 200 patents in the rubber and related industries. He worked for the India Rubber Co. and founded several businesses in Akron including the Andrews-Alderfer Co., the Tel-O-Post Co., the Sterling Alderfer Co., and the Steelastic Co. His papers include diagrams, booklets, journals, and patents that document his life and work.
Albrecht, F. W., Grocery Company RecordsRange: 1900 - 1999 Size: 50 cubic feet Record Group: $content.recordGroup
Fred W. Albrecht of Massillon, Ohio opened his first grocery store, later known as Acme No. 1, in 1891 at the corner of Buchtel, Sumner, and Center streets in Akron. The company grew to 100 stores at its height in the 1930s and now consists of 15 locations throughout northeastern Ohio known as Acme Fresh Market stores. The records consist of publications, advertisements, photographs, newspaper clippings, audiovisual materials, and artifacts documenting the Acme, Click, and Y-Mart stores over a 100-year period.
Akron, Canton and Youngstown Railroad Historical Society CollectionRange: 1895 - 2017 Size: 60.0 Record Group: 99/169
The AC&Y Railroad Historical Society Collection consists of approximately 60 cubic feet of records, publications, photographs, maps, and artifacts that document the history of this small, yet important local railroad. The collection dates from 1895 to 2017 and is comprised of both records of the AC&Y Railroad Historical Society and collected records of the AC&Y Railroad Company.[Finding Aid]
Akron Savings and Loan Company RecordsRange: 1888 - 1924 Size: 0.7 cubic foot Record Group: 99/105
The Akron Savings and Loan Company (formerly the Akron Building and Loan Association) opened in 1888 to help the people of Akron, Ohio with financial activities and home ownership. The records include financial statements, annual reports, passbooks, constitution and bylaws, and meeting minutes that document the growth and development of the agency.[Finding Aid]
Akron Regional Development Board RecordsRange: 1957 - 1982 Size: 6.66 Record Group: 99/92
The Akron Regional Development Board was formed in 1975 to promote business and industrial development in the tri-county area. The organization provided consultation to law-making bodies and conducted studies on issues including the Akron Public School levies, city taxes, local business expansions, and state highways. The records consist of subject files of programs and projects and photographs of local businesses.[Finding Aid]
Akron City Water Department PhotographsRange: 1917 - 1937 Size: 1 cubic foot Record Group: 99/97
The Akron City Water Department was created by City Council in 1912 to address the city’s mass problem of a water supply polluted by the burgeoning rubber industry. The photographs include numerous 3"x 5" photographic prints recording the construction of the Water Department including major additions of the water purification plant, extensive water main surveys, new water towers, stand pipes, and pumping stations. While the photographs are technical in content, they also contain views of streets, neighborhoods, and working conditions of early 20th century Akron.[Finding Aid]
Akron Area Chamber of Commerce RecordsRange: 1907 - 1974 Size: 100 cubic feet Record Group: $content.recordGroup
The Greater Akron Chamber of Commerce is an economic development organization serving a diverse array of businesses in Medina, Portage and Summit counties in Northeast Ohio with the purpose of driving economic development and prosperity for the people of the Greater Akron Region. The records consist of a subscription book of founding members, meeting minutes, reports, yearbooks and other publications, research files, and maps. Also included are records of Chamber affiliates in Cuyahoga Falls, Fairlawn, Northampton, and Stow, Ohio.Top