*** Akron Polymer Training Services now offers remote learning training courses featuring live instructors. For more information, visit our Online Course Requirements webpage. ***
Blown Film Extrusion Processing
Time: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Location: 240 South Forge Street, Akron, Ohio 44325
Classroom 217 (Located inside the National Polymer Innovation Center)
Cost: $1,000.00 USD
Instructor: Mr. Christopher Paige
This two-day course will cover Blown Film Extrusion equipment operations, applications and trouble-shooting process issues that can occur. The course will include a hands-on demonstration and operation overview on a Blown Film Line. The course can be taken as a single 2-day course or as part of the discounted four-day course on Blown Film Extrusion and Cast Film Extrusion.
Christopher (Chris) Paige holds a M. S. Degree in Plastics Engineering - 2005 (University of Massachusetts – Lowell) and a M.S. Degree in Polymer Chemistry – 1991 (University of Cincinnati). He is a member of Society of Plastics Engineers (SPE), American Chemical Society (ACS) and America Society of Materials (ASM) and has over 30 years’ experience, working in Industry. As a Laboratory Manager, at the University of Akron, Chris performed numerous hands-on plastics processing projects, for domestic and International corporate clients. He is a subject matter expert on Single Screw Extrusion, Twin Screw Extrusion, Blown Film Processing, 3-D Printing, Thermoforming and Injection Molding. Chris also trained Graduate and Undergraduate students on the hands-on operation of Large scale plastic processing equipment and characterization equipment (Thermal Analysis and mechanical Inston), while at the University of Akron.
Blown Film Line Processing Equipment
- Blown Film Operational Line Set-up.
- Extrusion System, Annular Die, Collapsing Frame, Nip Rolls, Idler Rolls, Winder.
- Terminology Ratios – Blow- Up Ration (BUR), Drawdown Ration (DDR), Blow Ratio (BR).
- Terminology – Die Gap, Die Diameter, Bubble Diameter and Film Thickness.
- Terminology Orientations - Transverse Direction (TD) and Machine Direction (MD).
- Preventive Maintenance.
- Safety Precautions.
Operation and Application of Blown Film Processing Line
- Simple Monolayer films for plastic bags.
- Multilayer Structures for Plastics Food Packaging
Trouble Shooting and Resolving Injection Molding Issues
- What is Trouble-Shooting? – Note: Trouble- shooting is not Process Development or Process Scale-Up.
- Identification the problems that can occur with Blown Film Processing equipment.
- Finding the Best Approach to resolving Blown Film Problems, or Issues.
Hands-on Demonstration and Operation Overview of a Blown Film Processing Line
- Blown Film Line Hands-on Demonstration
- Blown Film Line Operation Overview