*** Akron Polymer Training Services now offers remote learning training courses featuring live instructors. For more information, visit our Online Course Requirements webpage. ***
ONLINE COURSE: Sponge Rubber 101
Course Number: 138-0911
Date: 03/08/2022 - 03/08/2022
Time: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Location: Microsoft Teams
Cost: $1,400.00 USD
Instructor: Richard D. Strong
This presentation was developed for those who currently make Flexible Cellular Rubber products and wish to expand their knowledge or anyone wanting to gain insights into these materials and how they can be used. This course will offer an overview of Cellular Rubber terminology, potential applications, economics, specifications, raw materials and compound construction Additionally there will be a review of the various processes used to produce Cellular Rubber products, including mixing, various types of extrusion and molding. This discussion will offer helpful tips, the do’s and the don”ts of producing Cellular Rubber products that can be applied by the attendees in real world applications of their own. The course will not contain content about cellular thermoplastic rubber or foamed products. The course will include opportunities for questions and answers and samples of cellular products will be available for hands on examination.
Online Course Requirements
We want you to have a great experience participating in our remote (online) courses, and for that, you’ll need the right equipment and internet connection.
Minimum needs are:
- A broadband internet connection that has at least a 2 Mbps upload and download speed.
- A computer (PC or Mac) that can support the latest web browser versions.
- At least 4 GB of RAM and adequate hard drive space.
- A microphone and a speaker.
- International Students: For virtual (online) courses, an additional fee will be assessed to cover the cost of shipping the professional binder (presentation slides), to your address. The cost of international shipping can be significant.
For more information, visit our Online Course Requirements webpage.
Define Types of Cellular Compounds
- Sponge - open cell
- Expanded Rubber - closed cell
Cellular Rubber Definitions and Terminology
Cellular Rubber Products - Economics 101
Processes Used in Producing Cellular Rubber Products
Introduction to Specifications and Test Methods
- ASTM D 1056-14
- ISO 6916-1
- Mil S TD 670
Cellular Rubber Product - Tolerances
- ASTM D 106-14
- Process Oil and Plasticizers
- Blowing Agents
- Accelerators and Curing Agents
- Other - Specialties
Compounding - Guidelines and Examples
- Three P's
Mixing and Testing
- Internal Mixing
- Open Mill