*** Akron Polymer Training Services now offers remote learning training courses featuring live instructors. In addition to our courses held at the Akron Polymer Technology Services training center, we now offer courses that can be taken online from your home or office.
We want you to have a great experience participating in our remote (online) courses, and for that, you’ll need the right equipment and internet connection.
Minimum needs are:
- A broadband internet connection that has at least a 2 Mbps upload and download speed.
- A computer (PC or Mac) that can support the latest web browser versions.
- At least 4 GB of RAM and adequate hard drive space.
- A microphone and a speaker.
For more information, visit our Online Course Requirements webpage. ***
Advanced Mold Flow Simulation - 2 Day Course
Time: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Location: Akron Polymer Training Center, Akron, OH 44325-5404
Cost: $1,400 USD
Instructor: Mr. Rob Hickman
- Introduction to Plastics – Overview with Simulation in Mind
- Reasoning behind Simulating Plastics – Knowing what matters
- Industry Leading Injection Molding Analysis Software
- Moldflow Insight software
- Moldex3D Professional software
- Sigma soft
- Others (i.e. Advisers, Solid works Plastics, etc.)
- Differences between a Standard and Advanced Analysis
- Goals / Objectives
- Analysis Preparation
- Solution / Solve Characteristics
- Interpreting Results Accurately
- Leveraging Manufacturing based Experience (knowing fact from fiction)
Mr. Hickman is a graduate Mechanical Engineer with over 30 years of polymer engineering experience in the field. In addition, Robert has received advanced Polymer Engineering training from various institutions including the University of Akron (one of the top 10 polymer engineering universities in the nation). His education further includes certifications in marketing from Cleveland State University, I.T. certifications from Edison Community College, Mold flow Corporation, Coretech Systems, CTRL Systems, AC Technologies, Ohio CAE Services, University of Akron Polymer Training Center, and the Solidworks Corporation.
Robert has significant hands-on experience with productivity programs, product design, concurrent development and optimization, finite element analysis, various CAD/CAM/CAE softwares and Lean/Six Sigma principles (Green Belt) in the manufacturing sector.
A significant portion of Mr. Hickman’s experience in the polymer industry was obtained on the manufacturing floor, directing a problem-solving environment. In addition to his hands-on experience, Mr. Hickman has taught polymer related courses at the University of Akron (APTC), participated in several beta testing programs for well-known softwares such as I-deas (now NX), Solidworks, C-Mold and Moldex3D. For several years, Mr. Hickman served as the Global Plastic Simulation Special Interest Group Chairman for the I-deas user group known as ICCON and served on the board of the Society of Manufacturing Engineers (Plastics Tooling Division).
- Importing Geometry / Model Clean up
- Setting meshing size (making good choices on size and how it affects results)
- Runner layouts (types, procedures, pros/cons)
- Cooling layouts (types, procedures, pros/cons)
- Analysis set up (experienced based settings, software suggestions and tricks for good results)
- Post Processing and Result Interpretation (filling, packing, cooling, webpage, fiber, various other types)
- Being successful using experience
- Detailed discussions of what results are really telling you
- Certificates / Awards
- Wrap-up & Dismiss