AKRON & THE COMMUNITY
The city of Akron offers a vibrant downtown, serene parks, and events and venues that appeal to almost every interest. Here's a taste of what you can discover in Akron and the region:
Accommodations while visiting UA
Lodging options are available within 15 minutes of the University (list from Google).
Advantages of city living
Akron is the fifth largest city in Ohio. Five advantages of going to college in an urban setting:
- Whether you grab a bite at a restaurant downtown or attend a minor league baseball game, Akron always has something to keep boredom at bay.
Internships and co-ops opportunities
- The university has great relationships with distinguished business in the surrounding areas, benefitting students with prominent internships and co-ops.
Close weekend trips
You don’t have to travel far to enjoy an affordable vacation away from your studies. Whether you prefer exploring a forest via zip line, canoeing and fishing in the lake or skiing down a snow trail, there are numerous getaway locations within 3 hours of the university for you to discover.
The city of Akron is home to Zips athletics as well as professional and minor league teams. Students of Akron have the best of both worlds; the community involvement in a Division I Athletics program, along with access to multiple major-league teams within 45 minutes of campus.
Arts and culture
Get lost in the abundance of art and culture located in Downtown Akron. No matter your interests, there’s something to suit your creative flare.
Food and shopping
So many restaurants, so little time. Try to find your favorite fare amongst the decadent and flavorful cuisine in the area. Your taste buds will thank you.
Get up and get moving! Staying active in between classes and studying couldn’t be easier in Akron. With endless possibilities around the area, you’ll have a hard time choosing which one you want to do first.
- Akron Zoo - More than 700 animals from around the world located 10 minutes west of campus.
- Metro parks - Metro offers 14 parks, conservation areas and 125 miles of trails for all sorts of outdoor fun
- Portage Lakes - Rent outdoor equipment from the SRWC and head to the Portage Lakes, 8 lakes expanding over 2,000 acres, offering a variety of outdoor adventures just 10 minutes away
- Road Races - Whether you’re a running veteran or attempting your first 5k, Akron and surrounding areas have road races for you
Who doesn’t love a live band or concert? Grab your friends and enjoy the talents of local, national, and tribute artists at multiple locations all as unique as the performers themselves.
- Blossom Music Center - This famous music venue features national artists and also doubles as a haunted horror attraction in October
- Lock 3 - Downtown Akron’s outdoor venue offering affordable, family entertainment
- Nightlife - No time for sleeping when Akron’s vivacious nightlife is within walking distance from campus
Annual events and festivals
Akron hosts thousands of events each year from live concerts to monthly art walks and historic festivals to holiday celebrations. Join other students and citizens of Akron in learning and loving your community.
The rich history of Akron has been archived in the city’s many museums. Students can take advantage of Free Thursdays at the Akron Art Museum, student discounts at the Hower House and so much more.
The city of Akron provides numerous selections for spiritual growth in different religious practices.
- Click on this link for a directory of Apostolic, Baptist, Brethren, Catholic, Christian, Episcopal, Lutheran, Non-Denominational, Orthodox, Pentecostal, Presbyterian, and United Methodist churches.