News for faculty and staff
Employees earn degrees at fall commencement ceremonies
Congratulations to the nine University employees who earned undergraduate and graduate degrees as part of the Fall and Summer Classes of 2017. They are:
- Cathy A. Bongiovi, assistant athletic director of athletic communications, Department of Athletic Media Relations, M.S. in Education - Physical Education - Sport Science/Coaching.*
- Tracey M. Brown, donor stewardship specialist, Department of Development, A.A.
- Carrie A. Cuomo, assistant lecturer, School of Nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice.*
- Judy K. Horn, coordinator of medical billing, School of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology, A.A.* and A.S.
- Shelley A. Houser, assistant professor of instruction, Department of Curricular and Instructional Studies, Ph.D. in Elementary Education.
- Martha R. Reynolds, coordinator of administrative services, Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences Dean's Office, B.A. in Strategic and Organizational Communications.*
- Eric E. Ryan, assistant director of development, Department of Development, MBA in Business Interdisciplinary.*
- Regenia E. Spoerndle, associate lecturer, School of Communication, M.A. in English.
- Leslie R. Tucker, academic adviser II, College of Health Professions Dean's Office, Ph.D. in Secondary Education.
*Indicates degree conferred Aug. 19.
Recognizing individuals who make a difference
As we further stabilize the University and prepare for the future, we want to continue the rich tradition of recognizing those who make extraordinary contributions in moving us forward. They do so through their teaching, research, and service, and through their commitment to the student experience, diversity and community relationship building.
The University Council has commissioned an ad-hoc Awards Committee to streamline the nomination process and make nominating your colleagues for recognition easier than ever.
A nomination form can be found online, and all that is required is the nominee’s contact information and a letter of nomination.
Nominations are due to the committee by Wednesday, Feb. 28, 2018.
Please consider the many contributions of those with whom you work each day, and nominate them to be recognized at The University of Akron Achievement Awards ceremony to be held later this spring.
Thanks to each and every one of you for all you have done and are doing to help move us forward.
Help is available for students with academic or personal issues
College can be stressful for students as they balance academics with their lives outside of the classroom.
The University has a team of professionals ready to help students experiencing:
- academic issues (missed assignments; poor grades on exams, assignments and projects; repeated absences from class, etc.),
- mental health issues (depression, anxiety, substance dependence, etc.),
- financial issues, and/or
- personal problems (relationships, social contentedness, roommate compatibility, homesickness, etc.)