Tax information (Form 1098-T)
What is the 1098-T form?
The 1098-T form will help determine if you are eligible for an Education Tax Credit. It is an annual statement that provides the amount of tuition charged on your account during the calendar year.
If you had qualified education expenses that were billed during the tax year, a 1098-T form should be mailed to you in January for the prior tax year.
If grants and scholarships exceed the qualifying educational expenses for the same year, you will not receive a statement.
University staff cannot provide tax advice. Tax questions should be referred to a tax advisor or the IRS website.
Receive your 1098-T statement electronically
We have contracted with a third-party named Heartland ECSI to handle requests for tax statements.
When you request a statement, you will be asked for:
- student ID (not Social Security Number),
- name, and
- email address (with the option to include an alternate email address)
New for 2018! Beginning with tax year 2018, new legislation requires that UA report payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses in Box 1 on IRS Form 1098-T, rather than the historical reporting of the amount billed in Box 2.
Heartland ECSI's site is secure, and Heartland ECSI will not share your private information with anyone.
If you have questions, please visit Heartland ECSI Tax Info for details about your tax documents and contact information for Heartland ECSI.
Why didn't I receive a 1098-T form for the year?
You may not receive a 1098-T. A few of the reasons are:
- You had no eligible tuition charges billed during the year.
- Your grants and scholarships exceeded the "billed" eligible tuition charges for the year.
- You had adjustments (registration and or financial aid) from the prior year that offset the current year's billed charges.
- For additional information, please refer to the IRS rules.
- W2 wage and 1042-S tax statements are provided by the Payroll Office.
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org or 330-972-5100
To Print or view your 1098-T Form
- Visit Heartland ECSI
- Choose the following options:
- Access your 1098-T Documents,
- Want to look up your 1098-T tax form? and,
- I need my 1098-T Tuition tax statement
- Enter the following information:
- Schools Name (The University of Akron)
- Name (first and last),
- Social Security number and,
- Zip code (use the address the university has on file)
- Contact the Office of Student Accounts at 330-972-5100 or email@example.com