Master of Social Work (MSW) at Akron campus
The MSW Program offers:
- Preparation for the advanced practice of social work
- A degree program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education
- Part-time study
- Evening/weekend courses
- Regional field placements
- Advanced standing program for qualifying students with a BSW
How to apply
1. Apply to the Graduate School (click here)
- Complete the online application, submit official transcripts (for all coursework since high school), and pay the application fee.
Note: The application fee for domestic and international MSW applicants is waived until June 30, 2021.
2. Apply to the School of Social Work
- E-mail the following (together in one e-mail) to Robert Terry at firstname.lastname@example.org
(a) the preferred program format form (click here);
(b) essay (instructions below);
(c) current resume; and
(d) (For advanced standing applicants only) your undergraduate field evaluation(s)
- Arrange for three (3) recommendations, using the social work recommendation form only (click here), to be e-mailed directly to Robert Terry at email@example.com
Note: for Advanced Standing, one recommendation must come from your undergraduate academic advisor, program coordinator or director, or field coordinator, and one must come from a faculty member familiar with your academic performance.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE ESSAY:
- Submit an essay of 3 to 5 typed pages, double-spaced, 1” margins, explaining:
- Why do you want to be a social worker?;
- Why do you feel a graduate degree in social work is necessary to fulfill your professional or personal objectives?;
- Describe your view of diversity in society; and
- Describe a situation in which you were the recipient/provider of help emotionally, socially, or economically, and if/how this situation impacted your desire to pursue an advanced degree in social work.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CAN BE FOUND HERE:
Frequently asked questions
What is the admission deadline?
- Feb. 1, 2021: Review of the applications for Advanced Standing, full-time, and part-time will begin.
- Feb. 15, 2021: Priority admissions for Advanced Standing, full-time, and part-time
- April 19, 2021: Deadline for applications to the Advanced Standing program
- June 15, 2021: Deadline for applications to both the full-time and part-time programs
When do classes begin?
- Advanced Standing evening program: Summer, 2021
- Full-time & part-time programs: Fall, 2021
Do I need to attend an orientation sessions?
Yes, you will need to attend two orientations: Field Orientation & Program Orientation.
What should I expect for my field education experience?
Students may complete their field placements at agencies throughout the Northeast Ohio area (Click here).
Who can I contact for additional assistance?
Please call 330-972-5275 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.