Department of Disaster Science and Emergency Services news stories
- FEMA expert Dr. Stacy Willett: Emergency response to Puerto Rico
- FEMA expert Dr. Stacy Willett: Interview on WAKR about Hurricane Harvey
- Federal grant assures national conference opportunity for EMHS students
- EMHS grads are first responders in Texas
- ESPN half-time interview about Emergency Management and Homeland Security Program
- U.S. Coast Guard Rear Admiral June Ryan speaks at UA
- Students participate in emergency management exercise in Chicago
- Students in Emergency Management and Homeland Security Program visit Ohio Emergency Management Agency
- Emergency Management students and faculty share convention experiences
- 2016 class for new Emergency Management and Homeland Security B.S. Degree
- Area firefighters do real-world training at new University-of-Akron-operated burn center
EMHS students speak about internship at Republican Convention
October 7, 2016
The Emergency Management and Homeland Security Program held its first speakers’ program of the year on Friday, October 7th. The program focused on the roles students and faculty played in support of the Republican Convention in Cleveland this past summer and highlighted the diverse opportunities available for internships in the Emergency Management and Homeland Security Program.
Students shared their experiences and lessons learned from internships at the Offices of Emergency Management for the city of Cleveland, Cuyahoga and Summit Counties, and at the Cleveland Clinic’s emergency operation center. The students also were involved in all aspects of the emergency operations centers, including planning, inter-agency coordination, event monitoring, and response.
In addition, the Commander of the University of Akron/Summit County Sheriff’s Office Police Academy, who represented the Sheriff’s Office in Cleveland and commanded the Mobile Field Force, also shared his experiences.
Participants included Bravis Boehle, Brittiany Gemind, Angelique Gonzalez, Jessica Hamad, and Andrew Samoson (see photo). Also pictured is Mr. Bill Holland, Commander, University of Akron/Summit County Sheriff’s Office Police Academy.