How to pay a parking fine
First Citation Courtesy: As a general courtesy the first citation will be issued as a warning for select minor violations; such as not displaying a permit or expired parking meters. There will be no monetary fine associated with the warning citation. Any and all future citations issued to a vehicle that semester will require payment.
Appeal a Citation: Citations should be appealed if you feel a citation was issued in error. To appeal a citation go to akron.thepermitstore.com and fill out the appeal form. Please note: the use of this form is only for customers who feel they have received a citation in error or extenuating circumstances beyond your control occurred to cause them to park illegally.
Your appeal will be reviewed by the Judicial Branch of Undergraduate Student Government (USG), who will adjudicate the appeal. Once the appeal is submitted and processed, the appellant is not required to take any further action until the appeal is reviewed and a decision is made. The appellant will be notified of the decision via e-mail. All decisions made by the Judicial Branch of Undergraduate Student Government are final.
**All appeals must be made within 10 days of issuance of the citation.
**A citation may only be appealed once.
**Do not pay fines associated with your citation if you plan to appeal it. Payment will close your citation making it no longer eligible for appeal.
**Appeals generally take four to six weeks to receive a response during the Fall and Spring semesters. You will not be responsible for late fees which accrue on appealed fines before the decision has been reached and your vehicle will not be subject to immobilization for fines appealed.
**If you have additional documentation you would like to include in your appeal, such as photos, disability placard registration, tow receipts, medical appointment documentation, vehicle repair receipts or third party statements, please send as an attachment or a scanned copy to firstname.lastname@example.org. You are encouraged to add as much relevant information and supporting documentation as possible to the appeal to assist in the review process.
Parking Rules & Regulations
1. Parking permits must be displayed by hanging from the rearview mirror with the number clearly visible or affixed to the lower right hand corner of the windshield on the passenger side.
2. All persons who wish to utilize disability or general parking with their state-issued disability placard are required to purchase and display a university disability parking permit. The state-issued disability placard and university disability parking permit must both be displayed in the vehicle when parking on campus.
3. All parking lots and areas are designated by signs or markings specifying the type of permit required (such as Resident and Commuter). Each permit has a letter which indicates the required lot (s) to park in.
R- Resident C- Commuter
4. Parking permits are valid only in “parking spaces” which refers to the specifically marked parking area designated by white painted lines in paved surface lots and decks, and white-striped rubber bumper blocks in gravel surface lots. The color yellow indicates that parking is prohibited.
5. Valid permits allow parking in designated lots with the exception of metered spaces (unless sufficient funds have been deposited). Parking is prohibited in areas with restrictive signs, loading zones, fire lanes, yellow bumper blocks and markings, and in areas that do not have white parking space markings.
6. If there are three (3) or more unpaid parking violations on a license plate, Parking and Transportation Services may impound the vehicle with an immobilization device.
7. Only authorized University of Akron departments are permitted to sell or distribute main campus parking permits. Any vehicle containing a false, altered, forged, lost, or stolen permit will be immobilized on / towed from any University of Akron owned or operated property. Possessing, displaying, or manufacturing a lost, stolen, forged, or altered permit is a criminal offense and subject to criminal prosecution.
8. After a citation is paid it is no longer eligible for appeal.
Vehicle Towing Policy:
Any vehicle parked within the perimeter of a construction area may be towed at the owners expense by the construction company.
Parking Services will tow a vehicle if it is parked in such a way that it blocks in another person's vehicle.
These cars are towed only when there is a signed complaint. A towing is performed without a signed complaint if the vehicle is leaking gasoline, suspected to be abandoned, or needs to be removed for some other valid reason.
If a vehicle is in an ADA accessible space without valid disability placard displayed, is displaying a forged, stolen, altered permit, or any other illegal activity, the UAPD may tow the vehicle.
Vehicles are usually towed to:
171 Kelly Ave.
Motorist assistance is offered through the UAPD. Should you need assistance, please call them at 330-972-7263.
Please contact Parking and Transportation Services for additional information at email@example.com.
|Violation||Description||1st Offense||2nd Offense||3rd Offense (and beyond)|
|(1)||Failure to display a valid permit.||$25.00||$30.00||$35.00|
|(2)||Parking in an area for which permit is unauthorized/invalid.||$25.00||$30.00||$35.00|
|(3)||Parking in a prohibited area marked by signs/markers.||$25.00||$30.00||$35.00|
|(4)||Parking out of bounds.||$25.00||$30.00||$35.00|
|(5)||Expired parking meter.||$25.00||$30.00||$35.00|
|(6)||Exceeded posted time limit.||$25.00||$30.00||$35.00|
|(7)||Failure to heed directional signs.||$25.00||$30.00||$35.00|
|(8)||Blocking a drive, doorway, loading zone, sidewalk or vehicle.||$25.00||$30.00||$35.00|
|(9)||Disregarding the instruction of an officer or parking employee.||$25.00||$30.00||$35.00|
|(10)||Parking in a fire lane.||$50.00||$50.00||$50.00|
|(11)||Parking in a handicap access area.||$50.00||$50.00||$50.00|
|(12)||Displaying a false, altered, forged, lost or stolen permit.||$150.00||$150.00||$150.00|
|(13)||Parking in a handicap area:||$250.00||$350.00||$500.00|
Infractions left unpaid after 30 days from date of issuance will increase by 25 percent.
Paying a fine or buying a permit at our office?
Two spaces have been provided for Parking and Transportation Services visitors in the North Campus Parking Deck just behind the parking office. Visitors may park in these two visitor spaces for up to 10 minutes without a permit. Anyone visiting the Parking and Transportation Office for the purpose of purchasing a permit may park in the gated visitor lot on Buchtel Avenue (directly across from the Parking and Transportation Office) free of charge. If you do this, please bring the ticket that you received from the dispenser to the Parking and Transportation Office for validation. If the visitor lot is full, then legal parking may be found at a meter. Unfortunately, we cannot reimburse you for money used for a meter.
Pay fines online!