Respondus Lockdown Browser
What is it?
Respondus LockDown Browser® is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within Brightspace.
How LockDown Browser Works
- Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized
- Browser menu and toolbar options are removed, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop
- Prevents access to other applications including messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machines, and remote desktops
- Printing and screen capture functions are disabled
- Copying and pasting anything to or from an assessment is prevented
- Right-click menu options, function keys, keyboard shortcuts and task switching are disabled
- An assessment cannot be exited until the student submits it for grading
- Assessments that are set up for use with LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with other browsers
Important Note: Respondus LockDown Browser is ONLY a browser. If you are looking for a video recording of the exam, you need Respondus Monitor. Respondus Monitor is a DIFFERENT product.
Because it is ONLY a BROWSER, Respondus LockDown Browser should be used in the CBAE testing center or other proctored exam environments.
Install LockDown Browser
You must install LockDown Browser on each computer (Windows or Mac) you are using to take a test. If you have already installed LockDown Browser, skip to the next section "Taking an Exam or Quiz". To install LockDown Browser on your computer:
- Download the LockDown Browser installer at: https://download.respondus.com/lockdown/download.php?id=278437607
- Shut down all other browsers before installing (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc.).
- Open the installer and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the install.
- IMPORTANT: Once you have installed, launch the browser and login to Brightspace to confirm that your machine isn't running any apps that block your access to the secure browser. You may be asked to quit or "kill" certain apps that aren't considered secure.
Taking an exam or quiz:
- Close all programs.
- Launch the LockDown Browser application that you installed.
- If prompted to close a blocked program (e.g. screen capture, instant messaging), choose Yes when prompted.
- Login to your Brightspace course.
- Navigate to the quiz or exam and begin the quiz or exam.
- Once you have started a quiz or exam with LockDown Browser, you cannot exit until you complete it.
For Faculty: Getting Started with LockDown Browser
To use Respondus LockDown Browser in your course, take these steps:
- If you want to allow students to take the exam in CBAE, you MUST complete this form immediately: https://akron.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_6Gp45YZbrZTbHaR
- Open the course in Brightspace.
- Open the Quizzes and Exams tool in Brightspace.
- Open the LockDown Browser Dashboard.
- Open the exam or quiz settings.
- Choose the option to
- Enter the current term's password provided by CBAE. Remember that this password changes every semester.
- Click Save + Close.
- Notify CBAE (https://akron.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_6Gp45YZbrZTbHaR) if your students have the option to use the proctored lab. This must be repeated every semester for each course.
- Modify the exam password based on the communication you received from CBAE.