Traveling abroad: Faculty, staff and administrators

Update: The University of Akron’s current travel policy supersedes the Travel Registry process set forth below until further notice. Compliance with the Travel Guidance section below is still required for international travel approved by the responsible Dean or Vice President.

Travel registry

Travel Registry Form

*You must enter your UANet ID & password to access the form.

Travel registry FAQs

1. Faculty, staff, and administrators traveling abroad on, or in support of, University business must register their travel. 

  • Examples of “University business” include, but are not limited to:
    • Attending a conference
    • Guest lecturing
    • Recruiting
    • Conducting research supported by UA
  • Personal travel, such as vacation, is not considered University-related travel.

2. “Faculty, staff, and administrators” does not include students.

  • Student must complete other university required forms if they are traveling for a UA-sponsored education abroad program or other University purposes (e.g., engineering competition, choir performance, or athletic tournament).
  • Contact Heather Pollock,, for more information concerning student travel requirements.

3. “Abroad” includes any country outside the United States and travel to U.S. territories:

  • American Samoa
  • Guam
  • Puerto Rico
  • Northern Mariana Islands
  • U.S. Virgin Islands


Authorization for travel abroad must be obtained by the traveler in accordance with the travel requirements for her/his department or administrative unit. However, certain types of travel and travel to certain locations may require additional institutional permissions:

  • If the travel involves a destination with a DOS Level 2 or Level 3 Travel Advisory or DOS Travel Alert relevant to the area to which the employee plans to travel, the International Center will assess the situation and consult other university personnel such as Risk Management, Office of General Counsel, and Office of Academic Affairs as needed. The International Center may provide additional guidelines for travel to these destinations and/or require the traveler to sign an Acknowledgment and Acceptance of Risk.

  • International travel funded by federal grants also must be approved by the Office of Research Administration before traveling.

Travel to destinations with a U.S. Department of State (DOS) Level 4 Travel Advisory or a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Warning Level 3 Travel Notice is not permitted for University purposes.

Complete the online Travel Registration form

When to register

  • Employees are encouraged to register their travel as soon as possible, but no later than the date of departure.

  • If an employee is traveling to a destination with a DOS Level 2 or 3 Travel Advisory, an employee must register prior to booking transportation and at least 3 weeks prior to departure.

Reminder: Travel to destinations with a DOS Level 4 Travel Advisory is not permitted for University purposes.


  • Will automatically enroll you in UA’s International SOS insurance plan, and the University will cover the cost of the insurance.

  • Provides the University with a better understanding of where global partnerships and collaborations are developing, which can aid in decision-making about future opportunities.

  • Enables the University to keep track of where faculty/staff are located in the event of an emergency abroad, so the University can more effectively provide help.

Change of Travel Plans

Travel guidance

Passport: Apply several months in advance for a new passport if you do not have one, if it will not remain valid at least six months beyond your expected return date to the U.S., or if it does not contain at least 2 blank pages.

  • Some countries (such as Canada) will allow you to travel with a passport expiring sooner than six months beyond your return date, but always check with the country’s embassy, as these requirements are subject to change.
  • The U.S. Department of State (DOS) offers expedited passport processing – see here for more information.
  • UA has a passport acceptance facility on campus that also offers passport-style photos.

Visas: Check the entry and exit requirements for your destinations, and contact the embassy of the countries you will be visiting if you need more information. It is your responsibility to ensure you have the appropriate visa category for your intended activities in your destination countries.

  • The DOS Country Information pages are a starting point for finding information about visa requirements.
  • UA is not responsible for detention or administrative actions that employees may face due to violation of visa regulations.

Prior to departure:

  1. Familiarize yourself with safety information in the U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory for your destination country.
  2. Review the health and safety considerations of the destination country at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
  3. Review entry/exit requirements for your destination by visiting the U.S. Department of State Country Information website and entering your destination in the left-hand search bar.
    • Take steps to apply for a visa and/or passport if needed.
  4. Review Your Health Abroad to learn more about traveling with prescriptions, obtaining medical care abroad, and more.

All transfers of research materials, software, or data must comply with export control and trade sanction regulations. It is important to be aware of these laws because violations of export controls and trade sanctions can result in institutional, civil, and criminal penalties. The following is a brief summary of these restrictions.

Export Control

Export controls are federal laws that regulate the export of sensitive technologies, equipment, software, biological agents, and related data and services. The regulations are intended to restrict the use of and access to controlled information, goods, and technology for reasons of national security or protection of trade.

If an item or information is subject to export control, the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), 15 C.F.R. Parts 770-774, and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), 22 CFR Parts 120-130, may require U.S. persons to seek and receive authorization from the U.S. Government before exporting that information, goods or technology to a foreign country.[1]

Most research conducted within The University of Akron is "fundamental research" and exempt from export control requirements.

  • Fundamental research includes basic or applied research in science and/or engineering at an accredited institution of higher learning in the U.S. where the resulting information either is ordinarily published and shared broadly in the scientific community or where the resulting information has been or is about to be published.

Read the Office of Research Administration’s Export Control Statement

If you have questions about whether an export license is required please refer to:

The licensing requirements described above will affect only a small percentage of travelers because most types of technology are not controlled for export or release to foreign persons. The technology and technical data that are controlled for release to foreign persons are identified on the EAR's CCL[2] and the ITAR's U.S. Munitions List (USML[3]).

[1] Please note: the release of controlled technology or information to, or access to certain goods or equipment by foreign nationals in the United States could constitute a deemed export under Export Control regulations. Questions concerning deemed export should be directed to the Office of Research.

[2] Commerce Control List: CCL is found at 15 CFR Part 774, Supp. 1 - Prohibited items may include encryption technology, lasers, navigation equipment, material processing equipment, and other items that do not initially appear to be particularly sensitive.

[3] USML is at 22 CFR 121.1

All transfers of research materials, software, or data must comply with export control and trade sanction regulations. It is important to be aware of these laws because violations of export controls and trade sanctions can result in institutional, civil, and criminal penalties. The following is a brief summary of these restrictions.

Economic and Trade Sanctions

Trade sanctions may prohibit travel, payment, or providing anything of value to the sanctioned individual, entity, or country, regardless of the fundamental research exemption.  Current lists of targets of these regulations are maintained by the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC). Trade sanctions may prohibit activities such as transfer of items and services to sanctioned nations.

Destinations currently subject to the most comprehensive U.S. restrictions include:

  • Cuba
  • Iran
  • North Korea
  • Syria
  • Crimea region of Ukraine

If you are planning to travel to one of these locations, you may need to obtain an export license prior to your trip. These licenses can take several months to obtain.

All transfers of research materials, software, or data must comply with export control and trade sanction regulations. It is important to be aware of these laws because violations of export controls and trade sanctions can result in institutional, civil, and criminal penalties. The following is a brief summary of these restrictions.

Fly America Act

Travelers who are charging flights to a federally funded sponsored program account must comply with the Fly America Act, 49 U.S.C. 40118.

  • The Act requires travelers to use a U.S. carrier, a carrier that code shares with a U.S. carrier, or to qualify for an exception if the air travel is funded by the U.S. Government.
  • Therefore, all international travel on grants must be approved by the Office of Research Administration.

For more information, read the policy.

To request an exception, complete the Fly America Act Exception Form.

Traveling outside the U.S. with hardware, software and data

Do not travel with the following items without determining whether you need an export control license:

  • Devices, systems, or software that are not standard, off-the-shelf products available to the public;
  • Devices, systems, or software specifically designed or modified for military or space applications;
  • Data or information received under an obligation of confidentiality;
  • Data or analyses from a project that has restrictions on the dissemination of the research results;
  • Classified information; or
  • Export controlled information.

Secure your data

Regardless of whether you are traveling with a personal computer, UA-owned computer, or any other device, properly secure your hardware, software, and data for international travel. Visit the IT Security website to learn more about security basics, or contact IT Security at 330-972-6888 or if you have questions about how to secure your devices.

If you are traveling with any export controlled or other sensitive data, you must be sure the items are able to be taken out of the country and you must encrypt your devices to protect the data from unauthorized disclosure.

  • Bear in mind that some countries restrict encrypted devices from entering the country.
  • Other countries may ask to have full access to your electronic devices on entrance and exit, and may also enquire as to your use of social media.
  • Ensure you have full backups of any data with which you may be traveling, and minimize the data you have on your device to only the data you will need while traveling.
  • Update your applications, operating systems, and antivirus before your travels.
  • Upon returning from traveling, use a trusted computer with which you did not travel to change the passwords for your critical accounts.