Frequently Asked Questions

Most Popular Questions

When will I receive my financial aid award for the fall semester?

Financial aid award letters are sent to most students within a few days of receiving their FAFSA. Financial aid awarding for the 2018-19 academic year will begin in February 2018 for new students (delayed due to federal government budget issues). Award letters are mailed to new undergraduate students' home address and award notifications are emailed to continuing undergraduate and all graduate and law students using the UA Zip email address. If additional information is required before a financial aid award letter/notification can be sent, the student will be notified — new undergraduate students via postal mail; continuing undergraduate/new graduate/new law students via UA email). Any required documents or forms will also be listed in the student's To Do list in the Student Center of My Akron. All required documents/forms must be received and processed before we can award financial aid.

When will my financial aid apply toward my bill/student account?

If all requirements have been met, financial aid will apply toward a student's account 10 days prior to the start of the term. Until then, it will appear as "anticipated aid" in the Financial section of My Akron.

If there are 10 or fewer days before the first day of classes and your aid does not appear as "anticipated" nor has it disbursed to your student account, review our Next Steps to see what steps may have been missed.

How do my parents apply for the PLUS loan?

Parents of dependent students must apply for the PLUS loan at The parent must be logged into as themselves, using the FSA ID they used to sign the FAFSA. If approved, the parent must complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN) to complete the loan process, which must also be completed through

Note: One of the most common reasons for delay in PLUS loan processing is due to the student being logged into to apply for a PLUS loan. The parent must be logged in.

How was my financial aid award determined?

Financial need is determined by the U.S. Department of Education using a standard formula, established by Congress, to evaluate the financial information reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and to determine the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC determines what types of aid you are eligible to receive including grants, federal student loans, and the Federal Work Study Program.

What if my parents are denied the PLUS loan?

If you are the parent of an undergraduate student and you have been denied the PLUS loan, your son/daughter may be eligible for additional unsubsidized loan funds. The University will be notified of the PLUS denial by the U.S. Department of Education and will then offer the additional unsubsidized loan funds to the student. An email will be sent to the student's UA email address notifying him/her of the additional offer.

What is the difference between a Subsidized and Unsubsidized loan?

Subsidized loans are awarded on the basis of financial need. The federal government subsidizes (pays) the interest while you are in school.

Unsubsidized loans charge interest from the time the money is first disbursed until it is paid in full. The interest is capitalized, meaning that you pay interest on any interest that has already accrued.

Both loans may be deferred while the student is in school with a minimum of half time enrollment.

If I drop all or some of my classes, how will that affect my financial aid?

If you are receiving financial aid, you will be reviewed for Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress. If you drop below half time, you will not be able to continue to keep your Federal Work-Study job and you may be subject to the refund/repayment policy.

Why aren’t my loans applying to my bill?

If you have accepted your loan(s) via My Akron, completed Entrance Counseling, and completed the Master Promissory Note (Loan Agreement for a subsidized/unsubsidized loan), loans will start to apply toward your bill 10 days prior to the start of the semester (and then on an ongoing basis as requirements are completed).

If I drop all or some of my classes, how will that affect my financial aid?

Dropping or withdrawing from classes after receiving financial aid may cause an adjustment in the amount of aid awarded. Please speak with a financial aid advisor prior to dropping or withdrawing from classes to understand the impact.

My circumstances have changed since I completed the FAFSA. What should I do?

If you/your family have experienced a loss of income, divorce, or other circumstance that changes your financial situation, you may complete a request for a Special Circumstance Review. The request form and other helpful information can be found here. Please be sure to read the criteria and documents required for a review before submitting a request.

FAFSA Questions

What is the FSA ID?

The Federal Student Aid ID, or FSA ID, is a username and password that you (and your parents, if you are a dependent student) use to electronically sign and access federal websites, documents, and applications. If you previously had a federal PIN for these purposes, the FSA ID has replaced the PIN. Students and parents need their own, individual FSA which must be created online. If you need help creating your FSA ID, please watch this helpful video.

What if I forgot my FSA ID?

If you’re locked out of using your FSA ID, forgotten your username, forgotten your password, or any other FSA ID issues, please review the Frequently Asked Questions on the FSA ID website for assistance. Please know that we are not able to help you reset or unlock your FSA ID. If you cannot find the answer to your question about the FSA ID on the FAQ page of the website, you can contact assistance by email or by phone (1-800-557-7394).

How do transfer my IRS tax return information directly to the FSFSA?

By using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool while logged into your FAFSA, you can directly transfer your tax information from the IRS into your FAFSA. Visit Obtaining Tax Information for Verification for more information.

I submitted the FAFSA after December 1. What does this mean for my financial aid award?

If you were otherwise eligible for Federal Work-Study or SEOG you will not be considered until all other eligible students who met the Dec. 1 deadline have been awarded. Your eligibility for the other types of financial aid will not be affected.

I filed the FAFSA but I haven’t received my Student Aid Report (SAR). How can I check the status?

Check the status of a submitted FAFSA at Or you can call 800-433-3243.
TTY line for the hearing impaired is 800-730-8913.

I made a mistake on the FAFSA. How can I correct it?

You can correct a mistake on your FAFSA at

How will I know if I’ve been selected for verification?

You will be notified by mail if you are a new undergraduate student or by email if you are a continuing undergraduate student or new graduate/law student about any required forms/documents needed before you can receive a financial aid award. You can also check My Akron to see if you are required to submit any forms/documents before you receive notification about your financial aid. Read more about verification and review some helpful hints.

How do I change my address?

You can update your contact information in My Akron.

How do I get a UANet ID?

Students receive their UANet ID in their Enrollment Packet after they pay the confirmation fee. If you need help with your ID and/or password, contact the Help Desk 330/972-6888.

My parents are divorced. Whose information do I use on the FAFSA?

Typically you will use the information of the custodial parent or the parent with whom you reside. If you live on your own, use the information of the parent who provides the most financial support.

One of my parents lost their job. How do I indicate that on the FAFSA?

Complete the FAFSA using the income information reported on your parent’s federal tax return. Next, submit a Special Circumstance Review Request to the Office of Student Financial Aid.

I’m going to be married soon or was married recently. When/how do I file the FAFSA?

Your marital status is reported as of the day you file the FAFSA. If you file the FAFSA before you are married, you will not indicate "married" as your marital status and will not include a spouse's income. If you file the FAFSA after you are married, you will state that you are married and include your spouse's income from the applicable tax year even if you weren't married during that tax year.

If you are a dependent student who gets married after filing the FAFSA, contact our office for guidance.

Can my refund be direct deposited into my bank account?

Yes, you can receive student refunds through direct deposit.

Sign up in three easy steps:

  1. Log into My Akron with your UANet ID and password.
  2. Click on “Student Center,” then select “Enroll in Direct Deposit” from the drop-down menu.
  3. Enter the required information (checking/savings account number and the routing number), acknowledge terms and conditions agreement.

Addresses must be valid in order to receive a refund. Please allow 24 hours after signing up for your account to be active.

Student employees who are already paid by direct deposit will still need to sign up using the process above to receive a student refund by direct deposit.

If you have questions, contact the Office of Student Accounts at 330-972-5100 or

More about refunds.

What if I accepted more money than I need?

You have 14 days after disbursement to return the funds to the Cashier located in the Simmons Hall lobby. After 14 days, the funds can be returned to the federal government. Log into the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) to determine your student loan servicing company and the relevant payment contact information.

I don't see any financial aid in My Akron. Where is my aid?

If you don't see any financial aid, check and complete your To-Do list items. Aid is awarded approximately one week after all of the To-Do items are complete.

Verification Questions

Where can I find the forms required for verification?

You can download our forms here. Make sure you are using the correct academic year forms. Refer to your email or letter if you are unsure which year's forms you should use. Please only submit the forms that have been requested of you.

How do I know what forms were requested?

Check My Akron. The forms requested will be listed in My Akron as To Do items in your Student Center.

Why are my To Do items still open in My Akron after I have returned the documents?

To Do items are not updated as received in My Akron until all documents are received and verified for accuracy. This process can take 2-3 weeks.

How will I know if you’ve received my verification materials?

After your documents are processed, your My Akron To Do list will be updated. Depending on the time of year, allow up to 10-14 business days for processing.

Loan Questions

How do my parents apply for the PLUS loan?

Parents of dependent undergraduate students can apply for the credit-based PLUS loan at If approved, the parent(s) must also complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) to complete the loan process.

How do I apply for a private loan?

View information about private loans here and apply through FASTChoice.

Can I accept my Grad PLUS/Parent PLUS and/or private loans through My Akron?

Once your loan is approved, UA is notified and processes your loan to completion. There is no process for you to accept these loans through My Akron.

What if I am denied the PLUS loan?

If you are the parent of an undergraduate student and you have been denied the PLUS loan, your son/daughter is eligible for additional unsubsidized loan funds. Please allow a few days for processing (longer, depending on the time of year of the application). Once the denial is received and processed by our office, your student will be offered additional federal student loan funds through My Akron. He or she will receive an email notification to accept the additional loan funds.

Or, you can obtain a co-signer and submit a PLUS loan Endorser Application at

What is the difference between a Subsidized and Unsubsidized loan?

Subsidized loans are awarded on the basis of financial need. The federal government subsidizes (pays) the interest while you are in school.

Unsubsidized loans charge interest from the time the money is first disbursed until it is paid in full. The interest is capitalized, meaning that you pay interest on any interest that has already accrued.

Both loans may be deferred while the student is in school with a minimum of half time enrollment.

Why aren't my loans applying to my bill?

If you have accepted your loan(s) via My Akron, completed Entrance Counseling, and completed the Master Promissory Note (Loan Agreement for a subsidized/unsubsidized loan), loans will apply toward your bill 10 days prior to the start of the semester.

What if I don’t want a loan?

If you don't need a loan to meet your financial obligations to UA, you can decline the loan through My Akron.

Can I use my loans to pay for personal and living expenses?

Yes, refundable amounts in excess of your bill can be used to offset living expenses.

I’m graduating. What next?

Students who have borrowed federal student loans are required to complete Exit Counseling upon graduating or leaving the University. Exit counseling will explain your repayment options and provide you with important information about the repayment process. 

Scholarship Questions

I am an incoming freshman with a high GPA/test score – why didn’t I get a scholarship?

University scholarships are awarded to new, incoming freshmen at the time they are admitted. Awards are based on the student's high school GPA and ACT/SAT test score.

Students with a high school GPA of 3.00 or higher AND an ACT score of 20 (SAT score between 1020-1050) or higher may qualify for the Akron Guarantee Scholarship. Students with an ACT score between 17-19 (SAT score between 900-1010) may also qualify for the Akron Guarantee Scholarship if their high school GPA is 3.80 or higher. See other conditions and requirements for the Akron Guarantee Scholarship.

What other University scholarships can I apply for?

Be sure to review the scholarship opportunities for your student type by reviewing the information available on our website. Students can also apply for Private/Named Scholarships based on their student type:

How do I maintain my scholarship eligibility?

Scholarship renewal requirements are communicated when the scholarship is awarded. Please refer to your original scholarship offer letter for complete details.

How do I check to see if my scholarship has been applied to my account?

You can view your account in My Akron to verify that your scholarship has been applied to your account. 

  1. Go to My Akron
  2. Enter your UANet ID and password
  3. Click on "Access My... Student Center"
  4. Scroll down to "Finances"
  5. Under the Finances tab, click on "View Financial Aid"
  6. Select the upcoming aid year

I’ve been awarded a scholarship from an organization or individual outside of the university. How do I get the money to UA?

Refer to the Third-party payments and scholarships section of the Payment Options website.

Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Questions

I received a probation letter (contract); will I still get financial aid this semester?

Yes, but we will review your grades at the end of the semester to ensure that you continue to meet the requirements of the Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress policy.

How will I be notified if I need to do an appeal? How will I be notified if I did not meet Standards of Academic Progress?

The Office of Student Financial Aid will check your academic progress at the end of each semester. Students who are not meeting one or more standard of satisfactory academic progress will be notified via email. The email, sent to your UA email address, will let you know which standard you are not meeting and what actions you may take in order to regain your eligibility for financial aid.  

How long will I stay on financial aid probation (contract)?

You will remain on probation until you reach the minimum 67% completion rate and the minimum grade point average. Learn more.

My appeal has been denied, what must I do in order to have my aid reinstated?

You must self-pay your bill with the Office of Student Accounts or receive other non-federal funding while improving your academic performance in the deficient area(s). Learn more.

My appeal was denied. How can I pay my bill?

You may utilize the university’s installment payment plan or apply for a private loan through FastChoice. Please note, some lenders require borrowers to meet the school’s Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress policy. Please read the lender’s restrictions prior to applying for the loan.

I think I’m going to fail a class. How will this affect my aid?

Review the information regarding the Standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress.

Federal Work-Study Questions

I said I was interested in Federal Work-Study on my FAFSA. Why didn't I receive it on my financial aid award?

For consideration of Federal Work-Study, you must file your FAFSA by the UA priority date of December 1st. Students who meet the priority deadline are first considered for FWS in the order in which the FAFSA was received. It is possible that funds are exhausted before all applicants were awarded FWS funds.

How will I know if I have been awarded Federal Work-Study?

Eligible students are notified on the Award Notification Letter with a Federal Work-Study earnings amount listed.

What happens when my Federal Work-Study funds run out?

Once you have earned your Federal Work-Study award you may no longer be employed in the program.

Why was my Federal Work-Study award reduced or cancelled?

You may have received additional aid such as an outside scholarship which was not posted to your account at the time we awarded Federal Work-Study funds. This may have required an adjustment or cancellation of your Federal Work-Study award in accordance with U.S. Department of Education regulations.

I'm on the waiting list for Federal Work-Study. What happens now?

Continue to check My Akron to see if you have been awarded. Generally, all work-study aid is awarded by early August.

I declined my Federal Work-Study award for this year and then found a job. Can I have my award reinstated?

Possibly, although declined awards are reallocated to other students. You may still have eligibility if not all positions have been filled.

Will I be guaranteed an award next year?

There is no guarantee that you will receive Federal Work-Study funds from year to year. You must continue to meet all the eligibility criteria required to be considered for Federal Work-Study as well as file your FAFSA by the priority date of December 1.

Can I be paid a higher pay rate in order to earn my award?

The pay rate for each job is determined by the skill or experience required posted on the website.

Do I have to be eligible for Federal Work-Study funds to work on campus?

Regular student assistant positions are posted on the Student Employment website. These jobs are paid through departmental funds and do not fall under Federal Work-Study guidelines.

What is Federal Work Study Community Service?

Local off-campus non-profit agencies provide Federal Work-Study students the opportunity to earn their Federal Work-Study award while performing community service work.

Dependency Status Questions

How is dependency status determined?

Your dependency status is determined by a series of questions on the FAFSA. Please refer to your FAFSA to determine if parent information is required.

What if I have no contact with my parents?

If you have no contact with your parents and don’t know where they live, or you have left home due to an abusive situation you should discuss your situation with the financial aid office. The financial aid administrator will help you figure out what to do next.

Off-campus and International Student Questions

Can I get aid for Internships and Co-ops?

Official co-op & Internship required for a degree program
Yes, if you are registered in an eligibility co-op for which your work is determined to be the equivalent of full-time enrollment. For an internship you must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits as an Undergraduate or 5 credits as a Graduate or Law Student to be eligible for federal aid.   

Unofficial Co-ops & Elective internships
Financial aid disbursements cannot be made to students who are not registered in a co-op or internship programs by the University. Students may only receive aid for enrolled courses.

Can I get aid if I attend at another school as a guest for a semester? What if that school is in another country?

The University of Akron will administer your aid while you attend another school as a guest/transient student for a semester if you follow the process outlined on page one of the Ad Hoc Consortium Agreement. There are additional requirements for study abroad students that are listed on the Ad-hoc Consortium agreement instructions page.

I’m an international student and I need aid.

Please visit our page about scholarships for international students.

Other Questions

I’ve accepted all the aid I was awarded and it’s not enough. What now?

Consider alternative payment options, including the Installment Payment Plan or getting a job on or off campus.

Will scholarships, fellowships, Graduate Assistantship, tuition remission and other resources affect my loans?

Students who receive other funding may see an adjustment to their student loans because all sources of aid, when combined, may not exceed the estimated cost of attendance for the academic year. Often, when other other resources are awarded after financial aid eligibility is already determined, an adjustment is necessary to stay within the cost of attendance. Because student loans have to be repaid, they are always the first type of aid to be reduced in lieu of need-based aid or other free financial aid resources.

I’d like to transfer to UA. How do I transfer my aid?

The first step is to add The University of Akron to your FAFSA using our federal school code (003123). If you attended another institution during the academic year, you must contact that institution (or institutions, if more than one) to notify them you are not planning to enroll there. This should cancel your aid at the other institution(s) to make it available for use at UA.

I can't attend UA during the fall semester. What is the procedure for accepting aid only for the spring semester?

Contact the Office of Student Financial Aid so we can update your financial aid award.

Was this information helpful?