Department of Engineering and Science Technology news stories
- WZIP interviews Surveying and Mapping program director Gary Schuller
- Surveying program again maps out a path to success
- Concrete Canoe team wins third at nationals and first in innovation
- Electronic Engineering Technology students tour Canton South substation
- Donation of new surveying equipment will make it easier for new graduate to share knowledge
- Students in Surveying and Mapping Program in national competition
- College of Applied Science and Technology students complete unmanned aerial mapping flight
- Manufacturing Engineering Technology Program receives $10,000 Scholarship Grant from Haas
- Susan Ramlo receives best paper award
Surveying and Mapping students gain hands-on experience
December 13, 2016
University of Akron students in the Surveying and Mapping Program in the College of Applied Science and Technology had the opportunity to perform survey work at the TimkenSteel Gambrinus facility in Canton on Dec. 2. Accompanying the students was David G. Lautenschleger, P.S., GISP, MGIS, assistant professor of instruction in the Survey and Mapping Program and the advisor of the Surveying and Mapping Team.
Accurate Technologies, a branch of R.E. Warner and Assoc., assisted the students in performing a mechanical alignment survey often used in industrial applications. It is a unique form of high accuracy surveying that only several firms in Ohio offer. The equipment being surveyed in this project is designed for producing steel for the energy industry.
The students were exposed to the traditional and newer methods of this type of surveying. An overview of this project and a review of this type of experience will be used for the annual National Society of Professional Surveyors (NSPS) competition, which will be held in Washington D.C., in March 2017.
The UA student team will dedicate their efforts in this year’s competition to the late Professor Emeritus T. Michael Besch, whose vision and determination supported the use of this unique application of surveying in the NSPS competition.