B.S. in Aerospace Systems Engineering Accreditation
The aerospace systems engineering undergraduate program offered by the Department of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Akron offers is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET.
The educational objectives of the aerospace systems engineering program are to educate and graduate aerospace system engineers who, within a few years of graduation, are expected to:
- Practice the aerospace systems engineering disciplines successfully within community accepted standards
- Acquire teamwork and communications skills to develop a successful career in aerospace systems engineering
- Fulfill professional and ethical responsibilities in the practice of aerospace systems engineering, including social, environmental and economical considerations
- Engage in professional service, such as participation in professional society and community service
- Engage in life-long learning activities, such as graduate studies or professional workshops
- Develop a professional career in the prevailing market that meets personal goals, objectives and desires
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering;
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data;
- An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability;
- An ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams;
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems;
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility;
- An ability to communicate effectively;
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context;
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning;
- A knowledge of contemporary issues;
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
Enrollment and Graduation Data
Fall 2017 enrollment in the Bachelor of Science Aerospace Systems Engineering program was 49 students. There were 6 graduates of the program for the 2017-2018 academic year.