Electrical Engineering Graduate Program FAQ

Is GRE required?

Yes. GRE test scores are mandatory and no application will be processed without them. The school code for The University of Akron is 1829.

Successful applicants who are admitted to our program typically do not have quantitative scores lower than the 85th percentile. Individual faculty may expect better scores in order to receive a graduate assistantship.

Are English language testing scores required?

If you are an international applicant - yes. International students must submit their official TOEFL scores with a minimum total of either: 550 (Paper Based Test), 213 (Computer Based Test), 79 iBT or 6.5 for IELTS.

Do I need transcripts from my undergraduate institution?

Yes. The ECE Graduate Admissions Committee will NOT consider your application without official transcripts of all your prior degrees.

Is statement of purpose required?

Yes. Please review the websites of the faculty in your primary area of interest and prepare a statement that would appeal to one or more of these faculty.

Are recommendation letters required?

Three letters of professional recommendation are required. The letters must reference that the applicant has a strong potential to excel in course work and carry out independent scientific research. Letters by the referees should be on their official institution/company letterhead. Letters of recommendation that are not on official letterhead or which are without signatures will be disregarded and may delay the application being reviewed.

Can I contact faculty I am interested in directly?

Yes. You are welcome to contact and discuss your interests with members of our faculty directly. All admission decisions are made by the Graduate Admissions Committee and not by individual faculty.

I get fellowship/scholarship/sponsorship from the government of my country. Do I still need GRE and TOEFL?

Yes. Applications will not be processed without these scores.

If I receive a graduate teaching assistantship or graduate research assistantship, what will it cover?

Our assistantships offer a competitive stipend and often students receiving assistantships get tuition support as well. Make sure to check the details with our office at the time you receive an offer for assistantship.

If I receive a graduate teaching assistantship or graduate research assistantship, will it be for one semester/year or duration of study?

Continuation of any assistantship you receive is contingent on your performance here at the University of Akron. Before accepting the assistantship offer, make sure you understand that there is a requirement to maintain minimum GPA. The assistantship is also offered for explicit duties that you must perform in a professional and ethical manner. All assistantship contracts are for fixed durations and are renewed based on your performance, subject to availability of funds.

If I do not get teaching assistantship or research assistantship, can I still join the program at The University of Akron?

If you have been admitted to our program, you have been selected from a competitive pool. We encourage all our admitted students to come and study here.

Can you assess my chance of getting admission and/or assistantship before applying?

We are unable to comment on your chance of admission before examining your complete application package. If you feel you are a well-qualified candidate, meet the minimum requirement, we encourage you to apply to our graduate program.

How can I apply for a teaching or research assistantship?

You will be automatically considered for a teaching assistantship upon applying. For a research assistantship, please go through our website, identify a member of the faculty whose interests match yours, and contact them directly.

Is there a minimum GPA requirement to apply?

You do not need a minimum GPA to submit your application. Successful candidates who are admitted to our master’s programs typically do not have an overall GPA of less than 3.0 out of 4.0.

Applicants admitted to the Ph.D. program do not typically have a GPA or than 3.5 out of 4.0.

The applications are assessed based on their overall merit. Individual faculty may require higher performance for you to receive continued support in their research groups. 

What are the tuition and fees for studying at your department?

See tuition and fee information for graduate students.

If I have a question regarding the application system, who should I talk to?

You should contact The Graduate School. See this directory to contact the proper person.

If I have a question regarding the application process and admission requirements that has not been answered here, what should I do?

Contact Dr. Hamid Bahrami, Associate Chair for Graduate Studies, at hrb@uakron.edu