The Department of Polymer Engineering at The University of Akron offers both master’s and doctorate degrees in polymer engineering. Typical undergraduate degrees of our graduate students include chemical engineering, materials science and engineering, polymer science, mechanical engineering, chemistry, and physics. Successful students have a strong interest in polymeric materials and mathematics background at least to differential equations.
Please note that ALL application materials, forms, reference letters, and scores must be submitted to the Office of Graduate Admissions rather than to the Department of Polymer Engineering. The deadline for priority consideration of fully completed application files is December 1st each year. The deadline for regular admission consideration is January 15th. The Department of Polymer Engineering admits for Fall semester only. Questions regarding admission or the application process may be directed to Graduate School at firstname.lastname@example.org or to Mrs. Sarah Thorley in the Department of Polymer Engineering at email@example.com.
Other Useful Graduate Links
Professional Masters Degree
Minor in Polymer Science and Polymer Engineering
International Akron Masters Program
- The International Akron Masters Program with the College of Polymer Science & Polymer Engineering (CPSPE) at The University of Akron is an accelerated program that allows a student to receive both a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree in five (5) years. A student will complete his/her first three years of study at their home institution. The fourth year of study will be at The University of Akron (UA), and will count also as the first year of the master’s degree course work. This fourth year of study will include completion of a senior project. Typically the thesis research can be finished by the end of the fifth year to complete the master’s degree. The bachelor’s degree will then be awarded by the student's home undergraduate institution, and the M.S. degree will be awarded by The University of Akron.
- Beijing University of Chemical Technology
- Donghua University
- East China University of Science and Technology
- Fuzhou University
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Sichuan University
- Soochow University
- South China University of Technology
- Lanzhou University
- National Central University
- National Taipei University of Technology
- Tunghai University
REU Summer Internship Program
RET Summer Program
"During my undergraduate research, I realized that I was much more interested in the final properties of a material than in synthesizing that material. This led me to focus on a graduate degree in chemical engineering. I ultimately chose The University of Akron because of the prestige of the polymer program and the ability to work in multi-disciplinary and collaborative environment."
Brittany Pellegrene, Ph.D. candidate in Polymer Engineering
"I completed my Bachelor’s degree in Materials Science and Engineering, where I studied a variety of materials but really became interested in polymers. I chose to come to the College of Polymer Science and Polymer Engineering at The University of Akron because I liked the idea of an entire college focused solely on studying and researching polymers, and UA has a globally recognized program dedicated to this goal."
Kaitlyn Mawhinney, Ph.D. candidate in Polymer Engineering
"During my undergraduate studies I participated in two Research Experience for Undergraduates summer research programs at The University of Akron’s Department of Polymer Engineering. These experiences were pivotal in developing my interest in research and my desire to obtain my Ph.D. upon completing my undergraduate studies. Coming from a big university, I gravitated towards a smaller department where everyone knows each other and you immediately become part of a family. I was fortunate to be offered acceptance into this department as a Ph.D. student and I was delighted and excited to accept the offer."
Marcos Pantoja, Ph.D. candidate in Polymer Engineering