When it comes to earning a college degree, the greatest obstacle can be funding.
For this reason, The University of Akron is pleased for the opportunity each year to assist talented, deserving students achieve their dreams, thanks to more than 1,300 named scholarships established through the kindness and generosity of thousands of UA alumni and friends, corporations, and foundations.
Scholarships truly are the best way to ensure that today’s students persist to graduation. Scholarships allow students to enroll full time and remain focused on their studies; they also reduce drop-out rates, decrease the stress of student loans, and shorten the road to graduation.
The need for scholarships grows each year, however, as students continue to face an increased financial burden in pursuit of a college degree. In fact, 94 percent of today’s baccalaureate students borrow to pay for college – versus just 45 percent in 1993. Across the country, the average college-related debt for borrowers in the class of 2016 was $37,172; for Ohio students, that figure was $30,239.
If you are interested in making a significant contribution to student success, please consider a gift to the MAKING A DIFFERENCE AND MOVING FORWARD scholarship campaign, which is the University's most important initiative. You may also establish a named scholarship at The University of Akron, which can be created to honor a living person, in memory of a loved one, or to contribute to the growth of an area of study.
To learn more, please contact the Department of Development at 330-972-7238.
Search for a Named Scholarship
Scott, Dr. Gwendolyn Lutz Scholarship
The Dr. Gwendolyn Lutz Scott Scholarship was established through a gift from Dr. Gwendolyn Lutz Scott to The University of Akron Foundation in June 2003. A native of Akron, Dr. Scott led an exemplary 34-year career in medicine.
Dr. Scott attended the University from 1942 to 1944 and held membership with Nu Chapter Chi Delta Phi, Eta Chapter Phi Sigma, and Lambda Chapter Kappa Kappa Gamma. In 1946, she earned a B.S. from The Ohio State University and in 1950 a doctor of medicine from the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine. Dr. Scott held a post in internal medicine at the University of Chicago Clinics, received a post-graduate fellowship in 1953 from the National Heart Association at the University of Cincinnati’s cardiac laboratory, and was awarded membership in Sigma Xi for her research and publication in cardiology. In 1955, she established a private practice in internal medicine and cardiology, taught at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, and served as clinician with Cincinnati General’s Cardiac Clinic. At the age of 40, she returned to school to study psychiatry and later held residencies in psychiatry at Cincinnati’s Rollman Psychiatric Institute. In 1971, she established a private practice in psychiatry in Tarpon Springs, Fla., at Anclote Manor Hospital, where she also was director of education and training. Dr. Scott was affiliated with the University of Florida Medical School as a clinical assistant professor of psychiatry. She also served on the board of directors and was medical advisor with Hospice of Macon County, N.C. Dr. Scott received an Honorary Alumni Award from the University in 2000.