August Safety Focus: Safety Thank You!08/01/2019
This month we are celebrating how much we have achieved by improving our safety culture! I can’t thank the students enough for all their efforts to improve their personal safety and labs.
All the phone calls, text messages and emails I receive about problems in the building are so much appreciated! Many times if the students didn’t reach out to me we would not know about the problems after hours. These efforts save research, protect our lab equipment and lower costs to our college.
Improvements we have made!
- Safety Culture - Highest regard for safety on campus
- Cleaner labs - decrease costs, increase productivity
- Reduced injuries
- Increased energy efficiency with the Shut the Sash Program and continued efforts by students
- Lowered chemical waste costs with consistent waste documentation
- Reduced damage from our unpredictable pipe breaks - Students contacting PFOC or myself quickly and utilizing the flood response kit
- Discarded many old unusable chemicals - reduced our chemical load in the buildings tremendously
- Improved lab cabinet and drawer space by discarding old chemical samples from students that were no longer to be used
- Great to see so many students consistently wearing safety glasses and lab coats!
- Increased Standard Operating Procedures and lab safety training in groups.
LETS KEEP MOVING FORWARD!!! Great job to everyone!
Make it a Safer Day!
College of Polymer Science & Polymer Engineering
The University of Akron