May Safety Focus: Lab Inspections05/01/2018
The May Safety Focus will be Lab Inspections. It is our intention to do lab inspections twice a year during the spring, fall and anytime a lab has multiple violations.
Please arrange a day where you can give your lab a full cleaning. Dr. Mike Debord and I will be around during the month to inspect every lab.
Most Common violations:
- Hood Sashes left open
- Bench/Work area messes
- Cluttered hoods
- Improper Waste Documentation (DO NOT VENT WASTE THROUGH THE HOODS –Major EPA Violation)
- Flammables-improperly stored
- Dirty Base Baths
- Cluttered sinks
- No labels on glassware with chemicals
- Dirty gloves left everywhere
- Trip hazards
- Vacuum pump oil messes
- Garbage in the glass waste
Thank you to the students who shared this funny video with me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRDApYgvDqQ
Make it a Safer Day!
College of Polymer Science & Polymer Engineering
The University of Akron