Spotlight on recycling, sustainable materials at Polymers Appreciation Day05/15/2019
Our College of Polymer Science and Polymer Engineering is hosting its annual Polymers Appreciation Day for alumni and industry on Friday, May 17. The symposium is a celebration of the outstanding achievements of the college’s alumni and students.
This year’s Appreciation Day begins at 9 a.m. and will take place in the Goodyear Polymer Center Auditorium (Room 229) in the Goodyear Polymer Center. Student awards and fellowships will also be announced.
This year’s Appreciation Day theme is circular polymers and plastics recycling and will honor three college alumni:
- Dr. Lynn Yanyo, College Alumni Award winner, serial entrepreneur and executive director of the Institute for the Study of Business Markets at The Pennsylvania State University;
- Dr. Patrick Hager, Polymer Science Distinguished Alumni Award winner, retired corporate scientist at 3M; and
- Parimal Vadhar, Polymer Engineering Distinguished Alumni Award winner, engineering research fellow at Sealed Air Corp.
“We are excited to host the Polymers Appreciation Day to honor our alumni and student award winners,” said Dr. Ali Dhinojwala, interim dean of the College of Polymer Science and Polymer Engineering. “In addition, we have experts from industry and academia presenting potential solutions to recycle plastics and use of sustainable materials.”
The event will include an update on the college by Dhinojwala, introduction of new college faculty and staff, and several alumni and student speakers.
In addition to alumni award winners, speakers include:
- Mark Strobel, corporate scientist at 3M;
- Dr. Ramani Narayan, Michigan State University distinguished professor;
- Dr. Eugene Y.-X. Chen, John K. Endowed Chair in Chemistry, Millennial Professor of Polymer Science and Sustainability at Colorado State University;
- Dr. Richard Gross, Constellation Chaired Professor at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;
- Dr. James Eagan, assistant professor of polymer science at UA;
- Marcos Pantoja, polymer engineering Ph.D. candidate; and
- Qianhui Liu, polymer science Ph.D. candidate.
Student awards and fellowships will also be announced. This year’s Appreciation Day begins at 9 a.m. and will take place in the Goodyear Polymer Center Auditorium (Room 229) in the Goodyear Polymer Center.