December Safety Focus: Mercury Thermometer Exchange Program12/03/2018
We must eliminate the use of mercury thermometers in the labs. CPSPE Operations/Safety will provide an exchange for your mercury thermometers at no cost to the research group while supplies last. I will have the following thermometers available beginning December 16th if not sooner:
-10 to 260° C total immersion blue spirit filled
-20 to 150° C total immersion red spirit filled
Video which shows Mercury Vapors: https://youtu.be/lpZF88fqrl8
What are the benefits of switching to non-mercury thermometers?
- Mercury from broken thermometers presents a hazard for faculty, staff, and students in laboratory areas.
- Mercury also presents a hazard to the local environment, if broken thermometers in sinks eventually end at the sanitary sewer plant.
- Broken mercury thermometers create hazardous waste that is costly to clean up. It can cost thousands of dollars to clean up a broken thermometer.
- Effective non-mercury thermometers are available.
- Non-mercury thermometers can be used in incubators, water bath, or other applications where mercury thermometers have been traditionally used.
- Most non-mercury thermometers are certified by the National Institute of Standard and Technology or the National Committee for Clinical laboratory Standards to meet accuracy requirements.
Make it a Safer Day!
College of Polymer Science & Polymer Engineering
The University of Akron