Dr. Alamgir Karim
University of Houston
Department of Chemical Engineering
- Ph.D. - June, 1991, Physics, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois. Graduate Research Advisors: Drs. Gian Felcher, Argonne National Laboratory, Pulak Dutta, Northwestern University and Thomas P. Russell, IBM, Almaden, San Jose. Thesis topic: “Interdiffusion in Polymer Thin Films by Neutron Reflection”
- B.S. - June, 1985, Physics, St. Stephens College, Delhi, India
- 2010-2015: Associate Dean of Research and Director of Maurice Morton Institute of Polymer Science and Polymer Engineering, CPSPE, Univ. of Akron, OH
- 2010-Current: Director of Materials, Akron Functional Materials Center (AFMC)
- 2008-Current: Dept. of Polymer Engg., Univ. of Akron, OH
Goodyear Chair Professor
- 1993-2008: MSEL, National Institute Of Standards And Technology, MD
2005-2008: Group Leader (ZP-V), Nanostructured Materials, Polymers Division
2003-2005: NNI Nanotechnology Liaison (ZP-V), NIST Directors' Office
2001-2003: Group Leader (ZP-V), Multivariant Measurement Methods Group, Polymers Division
1999-2001: Acting Group Leader (ZP-IV), Polymer Blends and Processing, Polymers Division
1997-1999: Physicist (ZP-IV), Polymer Blends and Processing, Polymers Division
1993-1997: Physicist (ZP-III), Polymer Blends and Processing, Polymers Division
- 1992-1993: NIST Reactor Division and University Of Maryland,
College Park, MD
Research Associate at Reactor Division, NIST with Dr. Sushil Satija on neutron reflectivity from chemically grafted brushes and SANS from sheared block copolymers with Charles Glinka and Frank Bates
- 1990-1992: University Of Minnesota, MN
Post Doctoral Fellow with Prof Frank Bates and Matt Tirrell, Dept. of Chemical Engineering & Materials Science on block copolymer thin films and tethered polymer brushes
- 1988: IBM, Almaden Research Center, San Jose, CA
Summer Intern under Dr. Thomas P. Russell on polymer thin film modeling of neutron reflection
- 1988-1990: Argonne National Laboratory, IL
Graduate research fellowship in Materials Science Division under Dr. Gian Felcher on interdiffusion in polymer thin films by neutron reflection
Awards, Honors, Memberships
- Associate Dean of Research, 2013-2015
- Institute Director, College of Polymer Science & Polymer Engineering, University of Akron, 2010-2015
- Keck Foundation Award, 2013
- Fellow of American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), 2012
- Co-Director, Akron Functional Materials Center (AFMC), University of Akron, 2010
- Goodyear Chair Professor, University of Akron, 2008-present
- King Saud University, Invited Program Evaluation Member, 2014
- Panel Evaluation Member: National Science and Engineering Council of Canada (NSERC), 2010-2014; 2012 NSF-NSEC; 2012 DOE BES-COV Panel
- Sub-Committee Member, User Group, Center for Nanoscale Materials Science, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tennessee, 2008-2010.
- Program Advisory Board Member, University of Connecticut, Institute for Materials Science (IMS), Polymers Program, 2007-2008
- Silver Medal Award, US Department of Commerce, 2007
- Fellow of American Physical Society, 2005
- Advisory Committee Member, Keck Program, Howard University, Washington D.C., 2003
- Bronze Medal Award, US Department of Commerce, NIST, 2002
- Adjunct Faculty, Department of Chemistry, University of Arkansas, Little Rock, Arkansas, 2002
- International Advisory Board Member for “Polymer Nanocomposites”, National Research Council of Canada (NRCC), 2000
- Pace-Setter Award, Argonne National Laboratory, 1990
- Summer Intern Fellowship, IBM, San Jose, California, 1988
- National Talent Scholarship Award, India, 1980
- National Mathematics Olympiad Award, India, 1980
- Junior Science Talent Scholarship Award, India, 1978
- Soft assembly of block copolymer films for functional materials
- Interfacial assembly of nanoparticles and gradient interface materials
- Phase separated polymer blend scaffolds for regenerative tissue engineering
- Dynamic and static gradient approaches for rapid polymer thin film processing
- Tornow, B., Albrecht, S., Yager, K.G., Singh, G., Karim, A., Neher, D., Brinkmann, M., Ludwigs. S., Highly crystalline films of PCPDTBT with branched side chains by solvent vapor crystallization: influence on opto-electronic properties, Advanced Materials, 2015, 27 (7): 1223
- Ye, C., Sun, Y., Karim, A., Vogt, B.D., Extending Dynamic Range of Block Copolymer Ordering with Rotational Cold Zone Annealing (RCZA) and Ionic Liquids, Macromolecules, 2015, 48 (20), 7567–7573.
- Ye, C., Zhang, L., Fu, G., Karim, A., Kyu, T., Briseno, A.L., Vogt, B.D., Controlled Directional Crystallization of Oligothiophenes Using Zone Annealing of Preseeded Thin Films, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2015, 7 (41), 23008–23014.
- Arvind Modi, Sarang M. Bhaway, Bryan D. Vogt, Jack F. Douglas, Abdullah Al-Enizi, Ahmed Elzatahry|, Ashutosh Sharma, and Alamgir Karim, Direct Immersion Annealing of Thin Block Copolymer Films, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces (Letter), 2015, 7 (39), 21639–21645.
- Chang Liu, Kai Wang, Chao Yi, Xiaojun Shi, Pengcheng Du, Adam W. Smith, Alamgir Karim and Xiong Gong, Ultrasensitive solution-processed perovskite hybrid photodetectors, J. Mater. Chem. C, 2015, 3, 6600-6606.
- Yager, K.G., Forrey, C., Singh, G., Satija, S.K., Page, K.A., Patton, D.L., Douglas, J.F., Jones, R.L., Karim, A., Thermally-induced transition of lamellae orientation in block-copolymer films on ‘neutral’ nanoparticle-coated substrates, Soft Matter, 2015, 11, 5154-5167.
- Shimelis T. Hailu, Saumil Samant, Christopher Grabowski, Michael Durstock, Alamgir Karim, and Dharmaraj Raghavan, Synthesis of highly dispersed, block copolymer-grafted TiO2 nanoparticles within neat block copolymer films, COVER, Journal of Polymer Science Part A: Polymer Chemistry, 2015, 53 (3) 468.
- Samant, S., Hailu, S.T., Al-Enizi, A.M., Karim, A., Raghavan, D., Orientation control in nanoparticle filled block copolymer cold zone annealed films, COVER, Journal of Polymer Science Part B: Polymer Physics Edition, 2015, 53, 604–614.
- Deb, N., Dasari, R.R., Moudgil, K., Hernandez, J.L., Marder, S.R., Sun, Y., Karim, A., Bucknall, D.G., Thermo-cross-linkable fullerene for long-term stability of photovoltaic devices, Journal of Materials Chemistry A 10/2015; DOI:10.1039/C5TA05824D
- Wang, K., Liu, C., Du , P., Chen, L., Zhu, J., Karim, A., Gong, X., Efficiencies of perovskite hybrid solar cells influenced by film thickness and morphology of CH3NH3PbI3−xClx layer, Organic Electronics 06/2015; 21. DOI:10.1016/j.orgel.2015.02.023