- AGPA Home
- What are Polymers?
- Lesson Plan Library
- Best Teaching Practices
- Polymers in Your Classroom: Hands-on Learning with AGPA
- Come See Polymers in Action: Field Trips to Our College
- Video Resource Library
- Games, Multimedia, and More
- Professional Development Modules
- Ohio Science Standards
- Contact AGPA
- Other Polymer Links
Akron Regional Science Olympiad
March 9, 2019
Page Last Updated 10/01/18
Rules Clarifications and Announcements
Please Frequently Check the Akron, State and National Rules Clarifications and FAQ's:
- http://soinc.org/frequently_asked_questions NOTE: this link is especially important
- Not available yet.
Akron Regional Event Clarifications:
Please see very important notes below Clarifications.
The Akron Regional Tournament planners intend to emulate the National Schedules' event groupings, as printed in the 2019 rule books (pretend you are team 1), except:
- * Disease Detectives will not run during impound.
- * Experimental Design will not run during impound.
- ** At this point, we have swapped Solar System (B) and Anatomy (B)
- For Self-Schedule/Sign-up Events with written tests - If you bring 2 teams to regionals, both teams MUST sign up in the same hour. We will not run extra testing during impound nor after 3:15 this year. MYSTERY ARCHITECTURE is included in this same-hour scheduling for double-teams requirement.
Below are the TENTATIVE GROUPINGS for the 2019 Akron Regional:
|Water Quality (B)
Write It Do it (B)
|**Anatomy & Physiology (B)
Experimental Design (B)
Game On (B)
|*Disease Detectives (B)
Crime Busters (B)
|Dynamic Planet (B)
|**Solar System (B)
Potions and Poisons (B)
Road Scholar (B)
Circuits Lab (B)
|Circuits Lab (C)
Code Busters (C)
* Experimental Design (C)
Write It Do it (C)
|Anatomy & Physiology (C)
Fermi Questions (C)
Geologic Mapping (C)
Water Quality (C)
Protein Modeling (C)
|Disease Detectives (C)
Chemistry Lab (C)
|Dynamic Planet (C)
Designer Genes (C)
Please understand that at a busy university, and when working with scores of enthusiastic but equally busy volunteer event supervisors, some room and schedule conflicts might arise that will result in schedule changes. We will try our best to stick to these groupings. Please plan your team assignments with the above, somewhat modified National Schedules' event groupings in mind, but please continue to build in extra coverage. Best intentions are plans, and sometimes plans must change.
We will freeze Clarifications and FAQ’s on February 28, 2019, meaning all adjustments posted at the state or national level, after that date, will not be applicable to Akron Regional.
- Impound will be 8:00am - 8:50am.
- With the internet connections at The University of Akron being robust, we plan to run Game On! from a browser.
- Remember, no other internet interaction is allowed on Game On!
Mission Possible and Rollercoaster
- Teams are encouraged to bring a level and shims in order to make sure their device is appropriately level.
Racquetball Court at Ocasek Natatorium - Information regarding the space
- The dimensions of the court are: 20' wide x 20' high x 40' deep.
- There are 2 window ledges in each court for viewing from the 2nd floor, so the possibility does exist that a device could land/get stuck on a ledge.
Wright Stuff and Elastic Launched Glider Information regarding the space (blue gym)
- Dimensions are approximately 96 x 124 feet, with a 44 foot ceiling. Please note that 44 is the height to the ceiling. The ceiling is supported by exposed trusses/rafters/metal work, so the effective height is somewhat less. (2 feet, 3 feet?)
- Wright/ELG may share the gym with an activity center in one corner.
SWRC Court 3 Dimensions
- SRWC – Court 3 dimensions: 96 ft x 72 ft, height 44 less ceiling support trusses. (Vehicle events typically run in Court 3).
Drop-in Event ON-LINE REGISTRATION: (For build events, etc that run all day long.)
Online registration will occur at: http://akron.sciolyreg.org.
- Registration begins at February 18, 2018 @ 09:00 PM EST (TENTATIVE DATE!)
- Registration ends at February 26, 2018 @ 12:00 PM EST
Laurel Lohrey will be monitoring the ARSciOly@uakron.edu email account on the first Sunday night until 10:00 pm.
Please email if you have difficulties.
All, please review the Science Olympiad Policies on Safety Goggles and Lasers (used for alignment in build events, like the car events…)
https://www.soinc.org/lasers (class 2 and class 1 only – Must be clearly labeled), https://www.soinc.org/eye_protection
Let’s keep the students, supervisors and helpers safe. Supervisors, please enforce the rules for goggle type and laser type. Students without the required goggles should be given an opportunity, within their event’s scheduled hour, to go and get goggles.
Supervisors – please – you should wear goggles as appropriate. If you don’t own a pair, please ask us to pack goggles for you. email@example.com (soon please.)
Supervisors – please bring your own grading pens/pencils. Since students typically unstaple their test papers, please bring a stapler, or ask students to write team numbers on every page.
Coaches – please ask your students to write their team number on each page if they separate their papers.
Please contact us at ARSciOly@uakron.edu for more information.