Scroll To Top

Graduate Business Programs Admissions Fact Sheet

Welcome to The University of Akron, College of Business (CoB). We look forward to having you join us. To assist you as you begin your studies at UA, we have provided this fact sheet as well as information on our Graduate Programs website ( for Newly Admitted Students and for International Students. This fact sheet includes information for recently admitted students, resources, events, important phone numbers and a planning checklist.

MBA, MSM and BS/MSA students may begin studies during any semester: Fall (August), Spring (January) or Summer (May, June, and July). MBA students may begin the program of study in any semester. Students in the MSA, MTax and MSM programs should begin studies in the fall semester because of course sequencing. MSM, MSA and MTax students who require foundation level coursework should start in the prior Summer semester to remain on track for timely degree completion.

If you are familiar with online registration systems and do not have any questions, you may register without an advising appointment.

Submit Required Documents to

You must submit a signed copy of your program checklist, a digital photograph (with a professional appearance) and a promotional approval form to our advising staff at Failure to do so will prevent enrollment for future semesters. The two documents are provided as attachments to your CoB admission email.

Provisional Admission

Provisional students had some element of the application which caused concern to the Graduate Admissions Committee. It may be a low Grade Point Average, test score or missing documentation. As a result, the student is monitored and more closely advised in the initial semesters of enrollment. Provisional students are expected to maintain a 3.0 GPA in the first 15 credits of enrollment. Consultation with an advisor prior to enrollment is advised to determine the best sequence of classes to optimize your performance. An advising appointment, phone consultation or email is strongly encouraged. Please contact our office at (330) 972-7043 or to schedule your appointment.

Conditional Admission

Check your Graduate School admission decision letter for conditions you must meet prior to enrolling. Two common conditions are to provide an official transcript or official test results (GMAT, GRE, TOEFL, and IELTS). Registration will be blocked until these conditions are met. Once you have fulfilled the Graduate School’s conditions a revised letter stating the CoB recommended admission status will be sent to you by the Graduate School.

BS/MSA and BS/MTax Students

You should immediately schedule an appointment with a CoB Graduate Programs advisor for assistance with registration in your 500 level classes.


Housing and information on living in Akron can be found on the OIP website and at under Living in Akron.

Host Families

Host families may be available to assist newly arriving international students. Students are encouraged to inquire early with Global Ties Akron by contacting Michelle Wilson at or online at

Tuition and Financial Aid

Visit and select Paying for Graduate School for information on tuition, additional fees and financial aid opportunities. Information on loans and general aid is available at

ZipCard – Student Identification

You can acquire a student identification card or ZipCard in the Student Union or Simmons Hall. You MUST be registered for classes before you can obtain your Zip Card. The ZipCard has some funds assigned each semester for copying and other services. Additional funds may be added for use at locations on or off campus which accept the ZipCard.

International Students

Prior to registering, you should consult with an advisor. This may be done via email prior to arrival in Akron. If you would like an in-person appointment, please call our office at 001-330-972-7043 or email when your flight arrangements have been made and we can then schedule an appointment. If you have not already done so, you must provide an acceptable TOEFL or IELTS score before your UA ID number can be activated or you can enroll in classes.

Insurance Coverage

The University of Akron requires that all international students, visiting scholars and researchers purchase major medical health insurance. The insurance is automatically billed to your student account upon enrollment in classes. J visa holders are also required to purchase catastrophic insurance for themselves and each dependent and/or spouse living with them in the United States.

Mandatory International Student Orientation

UA staff and student leaders will acquaint you with the campus and discuss important topics such as immigration regulations, services offered at UA, and campus involvement at the New International Student Orientation. There are social events and activities during orientation week that provide opportunities to connect with other students and people in the community. Information on orientation can be found at Attendance is required for this orientation as you are expected to know the material covered.


All international students are required to submit an acceptable TOEFL (79 IBT or 550 paper) or IELTS (6.5) score prior to enrolling in classes. For additional information visit or

Fulbright Students

You should arrange to arrive on time for our week of student workshops and the OIP New Student Orientation. You must schedule your new student entry appointment with Miss Myra Weakland. At that appointment, Mrs. Sue Tully our Administrative Assistant, will assist you with filling out required billing and scholarship paperwork.


Program Checklist

A program checklist outlining program requirements is scanned to each new student upon admission. The checklist is your official course list and you must sign and scan to the advisors at You should bring your copy to every appointment and refer to it when scheduling classes.

In developing the checklist, advisors assess an applicant’s transcripts to determine if Gateway or Foundation course waivers are appropriate based on prior coursework. For waivers to be approved courses must cover comparable content at the undergraduate or graduate level and be completed with a grade of B- or better within the six years prior to beginning the graduate program.

My DPR (My Degree Process Report)

My DPR is an online guide in My Akron, to assist students in reviewing their academic progress towards degree completion and is used in the final degree clearance process. Based on the student’s current academic record, My DPR will display academic requirements including what requirements have been fulfilled and what needs to be completed in order to complete your degree.

Student ID Number

Your Student ID number, provided in your admission materials and found on the back of your Zip Card/Student ID Card, is used by advisors and university employees to access information online. When contacting a university office with questions or to seek assistance, you must provide this number. Include it in all emails, voice messages and correspondence to our office.

UANET ID and Password Required for Email and Enrollment

The UANet ID is the electronic account that you will use to register for classes, access email, review your financial records and modify your student preferences. It allows you to log into software, such as My Akron and Brightspace and access a variety of resources. It is also the beginning of your e-mail address (i.e. The UANet ID will remain valid after graduation if you continue to use it.

Obtaining and using a UANet ID

The Graduate School will notify you of your admission with an e-letter. Once you receive that confirmation you should be able to access your UANet ID. If you have conditions pending, such as missing transcripts, test scores or other outstanding requirements, you may not be eligible to receive the UANet ID. There are two methods for obtaining your UANet ID and password:

  1. Contact the Computer Support Desk online at, call the Computer Support Desk at (330) 972-6888 OR use the UACB-1 (Helpdesk Chatbot) and ask to set up your UANet ID. The support staff will ask security questions including your Student ID number. Once you have answered the questions correctly, you will receive a one-time password, which you can change.
  2. Visit Room 69 in the UA Bierce Library. An employee at the Support Center will set-up the ID for you.

Changing your Password

Log into My Akron at, enter your UANet ID and the password you received from the Support Center. Select the lock and key icon titled UANet Services to open a new window. In the select the Password field, select Change the Password of My UANet ID and follow the steps to change your password.

Brightspace Welcome Course Great for Networking Between Students

Brightspace is a software program which offers course content online. We have our own Brightspace course the CoB Resources for New Graduate Students course. This course used to be equivalent to an online entry appointment but over time it has become a tool for students to network with other C0BA graduate students. Effective Fall 2017, it will be dedicated specifically for that networking purpose. Instructions on accessing and using Brightspace are provided below.

Brightspace CoB Resources for New Graduate Students Course

The Brightspace learning environment provides students and instructors with the opportunity t o extend learning experiences beyond the traditional classroom.

Many professors use the Brightspace platform to provide course content, exams, grades, etc. to students.

Logging in to Brightspace

Login to My Akron and select Brightspace.

Map and Directions

Find a campus map or directions to campus.


Applying for graduation may seem like a long way off, but it is good to review the process now to have a sense of the deadlines and requirements.

Visit our graduation web page for complete information on this process.

Checklist for Incoming Graduate Students

  • Register for classes in My Akron on the UA home page or visit the Registrar in Simmons Hall. You must be registered for classes by day 14 of the semester.
  • Acquire a student identification card or ZipCard in Simmons Hall. You MUST be registered for classes before you can obtain your Zip Card.
  • Students with a car may obtain a parking permit at the Office of Parking Services, located at the Buchtel Ave entrance of the North Campus Parking Deck or ordered online by selecting the Parking Services Icon on the My Akron home page.
  • Purchase text books online or at either campus Barnes & Noble Bookstore (Polsky Building 3rd floor or Student Union). Use the University’s online bookstore to find an assigned textbooks ISBN number if you want to purchase books from an off campus retailers.
  • International Students must visit the International Admissions and Scholarships Immigration Officer and provide passport and immigration information. The Immigration Office is located on the 4th floor of the Polsky Building Room 467. The Immigration office can be contacted at or 330-972-6349.

Students may learn about CoB financial aid opportunities at by selecting Paying for Graduate School or visit the UA Office of Student Financial aid website at